Person to Watch in 2012: Tavi Gevinson

stylepukka
About once in a decade, one young and unorthodox child is discovered and unveiled into society. This assiduous character is thrust into the world of mass media, and many prestigious interviews follow (hello, Good Morning America). But after a few weeks, or even less, the child prodigy fades back into the suburban life and is forgotten by America. However, there is one fifteen-year-old denizen of America whose charm and wry charisma stubbornly refuses to back off: Tavi Gevinson.

At the young age of eleven, this Chicago-born girl started her blog The Style Rookie in 2008. Writing about frivolous ‘80s television shows and posting stylish yet flagrant photoshoots, she soon became an esoteric Internet sensation when interviewed by The New York Times only a few months after the launch of her blog. Because of her strange style and mature writing skills, it was only natural for Tavi to be discovered—without her parent’s knowledge, of course. She stated that she had never told her parents about the blog until the newspaper reporter asked to interview her. But once that interview went viral, so did her success.

It wasn’t abnormal when Gevinson was invited to attend New York Fashion Week. And it certainly wasn’t abnormal to sit a few seats down from Vogue Magazine’s editor-in-chief, Anna Wintour, nor to shake hands with Chanel’s head designer, Karl Lagerfeld. What was abnormal was that she was only thirteen, and that a school excuse was needed to attend. Tavi was photographed numerous times that week, prompting contemptuous headlines and looks from others. However, most were glad a fresh, new face was being added to the fashion industry. They argued that her keen sense of style and down-to-earth personality, which most designers lack, was refreshing. It was obvious that Tavi Gevinson was not leaving anytime soon.

Fashion and style are only two of the many subjects Gevinson works with. Tavi is known as a headstrong feminist and worked with Chicago’s Slut Walk, a yearly march through Chicago, Illinois that deals with the stereotyping of “sluts” and how sometimes the sexual assaulter is not the blame. This walk has empowered thousands of women and brought down barriers on sexism. Also, Gevinson has worked with TED Conferences on the issue of feminism, too. The empowerment to girls and women of all ages has made Tavi a deferential young woman with the power to improve this ever changing society.

Today, Tavi is still as strong as she was four years ago and is only becoming more famous. With over four million followers on her blog, she has also collaborated with Editor Jane Pratt to create her own teenage girl website, RookieMag.com, which deals with topics most other websites do not and will not talk about, and in much greater detail than the mass media would like. This website has already gained much success since launching in late 2011 and has connected girls from all over the world together to share common interests and experiences concerning daily teenage life.