Person to Watch for 2012: Dr. Zack Howard

haleyhochstein
The woman I am about to describe to you is no celebrity. You would not recognize her from a television interview, and unless you are a fellow of science, you may not even recognize her name. She may not be famous to the general population, but in my eyes, she is setting the world on fire. Not only is she a master of all things science, but she is a mentor and a friend. Her name is Dr. Zack Howard, and she is a scientist at the National Cancer Institute at Fort Detrick in Frederick, Maryland. I have had the pleasure of working under her guidance for the past six months, and in my opinion, she is the Person to Watch for 2012.
Dr. Howard has both a Masters degree and a Ph.D. in cellular biology, and has been working in biomedical research facilities for twenty years. She has worked her way up to supreme status and is the staff scientist of our lab, the Laboratory of Molecular Immunoregulation (LMI). In the spring of 2011, I was matched to Dr. Howard through a student internship program. I was excited and eager to start working. After the first few hours of my first day of work, my demeanor had changed: I was sure that I had never been more intimidated by any adult in my entire life.
I quickly learned that I was joining Dr. Howard’s lab at a time when she had just published a huge research proposal, and everyone knew her name. In 2011, Dr. Howard and her team had conducted multiple experiments with both in vivo and in vitro animal models. Her projects were focused on a class of proteins known as G-coupled protein receptors and their role in myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs). I was told I should be both honored and thankful to be mentored by such a powerful woman at the National Cancer Institute.
Not only is Dr. Howard a scientist and a professional, but she is a mentor and a friend to me. Under her guidance, I have had a top-notch experience in the world of science outside of the classroom. As a high school senior, having an internship in a biomedical research lab is an unprecedented opportunity. She has made my experience exceptional and has catered to my style of learning. With Dr. Howard’s help, I have breezed through concepts of biochemistry that were once foreign to me. She is both an advisor to me and the other scientists of our lab, always full of ideas and advice for how we should proceed with our experiments. She amazes me with her wealth of knowledge and ability to cater to a wide variety of learning styles.
I know that Dr. Howard is capable of making incredible contributions to American society and the world of science. Therefore, it is without reservation that I nominate her as the Person to Watch for 2012.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Person to Watch writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page, http://www.stageoflife.com/PersontoWatch.aspx
We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family as well as “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter.

To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:46:36 PM

Loved your essay! Your personal experiences and testimony speaks much to your nominee! Good luck both with the contest and with your career path!
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:49:40 AM