Person to Watch in 2012: Myself

eleanorh
In today’s society, all attention goes to big names- politics, celebrities, even criminals. When does the attention come back to the more important matters? Are the lives of those who live millions of miles away truly more important than our own personal lives? Why must we always compare ourselves to those who have accomplished fame and wander only in their footpath? The truth is there are no binds to their footsteps. We are free to choose our own path. Therefore, it is necessary that, above all other notable names in this world, 2012 must demand that I watch myself.
My name is Eleanor Hein, and I live in a small city called Niles in Michigan. It is not Hollywood or Washington D.C., but it is what I call home. 2011 brought challenges as have the years leading up to it. It can be expected that 2012 will also present challenges of its own sort. I must watch my actions and words that I may not repeat the mistakes of those before me. I will not always succeed. I must also strive to be surefooted, positive, and strong. I accept as I have in 2011 that I am expected to overcome whatever debris of past years that might fall in my path. My life lies in my own hands, and perhaps that is what gives me the courage to say that that is what makes me valuable to myself.
I wake myself in the morning, wash myself at night, and feed myself three times in between. I have no servants to do those things for me, so I have seen sides of life which no celebrity may dream of. They might go to third-world countries and help, and I admire them for that, but they still are oblivious to the difficulties brought with every day to the lives of millions of Americans. It is nothing to do with where I stand in the economy, where I live, of how well my name is known. I am not poor. I am not a nobody. I have the power to stand and the daily challenge to fall. Any minute could be my last, yet I continue living.
For fifteen years, I have built my life, a tower of shivering blocks which may fall with only a single tremor of the earth. And that is why I believe that I have the power and the initiative to change. That is also why it is necessary that I watch myself this next year. It would be so easy to make this my end because I don’t have everything I could want- money, fame, reputation. I am strong enough to continue, though. Life gets harder as the days go by, but still, I wake up, wash, and eat by my own free will. I have strong intentions of helping others to their feet, because they hold their lives, as well, and I cannot afford to let another one slip by. I have the power of change.