Person to Watch in 2012: Shailene Woodley

telltheworld
Picture this: beautiful tv star, Hollywood actress, screaming fans. In short, everyone’s dream. Now imagine this: scoliosis sufferer, environmental advocate, young student. They don’t match do they? Well, both sets of words happen to describe Shailene Woodley. In times when girls like me need a role model more than ever, there is one person who shines through the pressure of fame. Shailene stands out not only because of her talent, but also for her hard work and gratitude.

Shailene’s breakout role of 2011 was portraying teen Alexandra King in the highly acclaimed film The Descendants. Watch a couple of interviews about Shailene and you’ll quickly realize that she’s incredibly humble. Ellen, Letterman, Fallon, Kimmel, they’ve all invited her on their shows, and each time she credits her fellow cast members and director for the success of the film. Though she may already have a Golden Globe nomination and Oscar buzz, she stays down to earth and grateful for the opportunities she has.

Being a public figure means that people listen to what you say, follow what you do, and often criticize any mistakes you make. Some celebrities shy away from the spotlight, some indulge in nonstop partying, and some people like Shailene make the most of their circumstance. Shailene speaks out about her scoliosis condition, encouraging kids to get checkups and not be afraid. She tells other sufferers to “be grateful for what your body is and don’t get caught up on what it isn’t”. In addition, she advocates for environment preservation and wants people to realize that “we are part of the environment, not people just on top of it”. While other celebrities are spreading the word about the coolest shoes, the newest camera, or the tastiest burger in return for money, Shailene is speaking out in exchange of helping others.

What really counts is what people do, not what they say. Shailene started All It Takes, a non-profit organization she says hopes to “build self-esteem, combat bullying, and at the same time infuse the importance of things like composting and what [kids] can do at a young age to preserve and help rebuild the environment". With the organization quickly growing, she’ll definitely tackle more challenges in the future.

Fame. Talent. Life. It all depends what you do with it. And Shailene Woodley is doing extremely well. In 2012, you’ll be watching her in online interviews advocating for causes she holds dear. You’ll be watching her on the big screen as she makes people laugh and cry. You’ll be watching her as she pursues a college degree in herbology. Most of all, you’ll be watching this 20 year old impact people like me, who had lost hope in Hollywood until she came along.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Person to Watch writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page, http://www.stageoflife.com/PersontoWatch.aspx
We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family as well as “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter.

To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7:42:10 PM

I enjoyed the point you made of bringing attention to your choice. The one thing the world and our society needs more of is the recognition of needed change and reinforcement of positivity! W#ell done and good luck!
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:33:22 AM