Trust and Safety: School Safety

GustavoM

School shootings, lock downs, and bulling are a regular topic in today’s headlines with the columbine massacre and the increase of gay teen suicides as examples. Now schools all around have began increasing their security and taking issues such as bullying and cyber bullying more serious.

Schools have been changing how they handle a lot of issues in a very appropriate way. In my school you are not allowed to bring a book bag into the room for safety reason’s they must be kept in their lockers at all times. That’s a smart decision being that you can easily hide guns and knives or any other weapons in the book bags. It’s better to be safe then sorry in this case. Our school also has lock down drills where police come to try and search for any drugs in the student’s lockers and cars. The school also makes sure to lock its doors so that random people don’t just come in as they please.

On issues such as bullying our school could use major improvement. It seems like every other week you here about their being fight. And I have been in classes were students use homophobic slurs and the teacher ignores it and say’s “ok guys lets pay attention now”. I am sure if they used racial slurs the teacher would have sent them to the office. Their has been so many teens 12, 13 and 14 years old who have killed themselves because they were being bullied a bought their sexual orientation so I don’t think teacher should just ignore when people us slurs and they should take it seriously.

In my school there are areas where it’s doing a good job keeping us safe but there are also areas in which their could be some improvement. Their hasn’t been an instants in out school were peoples lives have been in trouble but if their ever was in instant where that was the case I do think our school has the ability to keep its student safe. I as a student can say that I trust the school to keep me safe however I also think it could use a better job in making the school environment a lot better and safer for its students and our school could use help from helping stop cyber bullying from happening. My school is doing a good job keeping me safe but it could do better