Trust and Safety: It’s Impossible

klobes
I hate being asked if have “trust” in another person, myself or even a higher being, no matter how reliable the object of my trust is. To me, to place “trust” in someone is to assume that they have some concern for my safety and have undergone measures to attempt to ensure my protection. This may seem enough to warrant a resounding “Yes!” to the question "Do you trust whomever?" However, the follow-up question or statement often includes the implication that the subject will not fail in their protection. How can I possibly expect another to guarantee my safety? If the person fails in this task, even if it is by no fault of their own, they have, by default, betrayed me. I do not agree with this. In other words, I am exasperated by others who place their beloved “trust” in others, only to find that magical connection broken by something beyond the control of both parties.
Of course there are times when we must lessen our fear by trusting others to make their best effort to protect us. I trust my teachers and school administration will do everything in their power to keep me safe, if not solely out of the fear of being sued having their reputation marred. My school has even recently launched a fervent anti-bullying campaign, an issue that (in my opinion) is extremely difficult to nail down. Putting my faith in them to try to keep me safe is enough to make me feel secure in my day to day life. Still, I realize that accidents happen all the time. I am aware of the dangers surround me constantly in my school day. I simply “trust” my school to protect me from as many of them as possible and that is enough. If an unavoidable conflict were to occur, I would not necessarily proclaim my trust in my school “broken” or “betrayed”. I would simply acknowledge that they did the best they could. On the other hand, if something tragic were to happen that my school could have easily prevented, I would no longer have full trust in my school.
I hope that someday we will come to the realization as a society that placing complete and utter “trust” in others is much too idealistic. Expecting others to do everything in their power to keep us safe is enough considering that we can never ensure complete safety, no matter what the situation. After all, we never can be truly “safe”. There is always some threat to our safety no matter what position we are in.