Trust and Safety: Blame

sophtar
We are growing up in a world that startles history. A world in which privacy cannot be attained by simply shutting a door. A world in which we are taken aback by ferocious politics, a capricious economy, dividing social barriers, and revolutionary technological advancements. However, it seems that the only way we cope with the uncertainty of these uncontrollable changes is through the familiar resolution of blame. As a teenager who is growing up in this 21st century world of possibility, it appears that we have only just dipped our feet into this relentless pool of change. As my generation slowly trudges our way through adolescence, the future appears grim. And while Washington D.C. offers the notion that the “future of our children is what matters most”, most politicians can’t seem to step away from their checkbooks and realize that bipartisanship is the first step towards a more sustainable society.
Once the viciousness of Washington subsides, the next step would be towards constructive improvements in schools around the nation. Education is the key towards a country’s economic and social development. Without sufficient pay for teachers or adequate funding for programs, a schools’ infrastructure and ability to produce top-of-the-line citizens crumbles. School should be a haven for growing children to learn and explore their talents and skills while also maintaining connections to countries outside these fifty states. Global exchanges with different countries would improve both the governments’ foreign policies as well as rising generations’ abilities to appreciate and learn about the different cultures of this world. The knowledge these kids acquire can be conveyed to the parents, who will value the government and school’s aptness at producing informed kids of this new world. Thus, parents will work harder in the jobs in order to allow for more opportunities for their children, and will invest in their governments and in their children.
Now the question that we must pose, is are our parents, governments, and schools able to achieve this apparently simple resolution to our problems? The answer falls into the uncertain realm of whether or not we can trust in them. Do we believe them when they say they have our best interests at heart? It is obvious that the world is in a series of crises, but it doesn’t seem that our leaders are working cooperatively to end this commotion.
It may just be the naïve, hopeful teenager inside of me, but it seems to me that the all the adults who hold every position from janitors, to painters, to writers, to doctors, to politicians, to world leaders, need to end their quibbling and start working together. Its not enough to say that we have faith in our governments, in our schools, or even in our parents. Promotion of cooperation and compassion is what will truly test their loyalty to us. If nothing changes soon, this society that we hold in such high esteem will slowly disintegrate in our hands and we will have to resort again to that same familiar solution to our banal issues: blame.