STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust And Safety: Common Sense

mward008
In the twenty-first century, it is hard to decipher where potential danger lurks. Teenagers in the United States have all been warned of the dark alley criminal, but many are oblivious to the danger that lurks in plain daylight. With modern technology, a computer and a camera are the only necessary tools for bad people to enter and harm the lives of any young American. How can you prevent something so sporadic and global? It is understandable that parents, schools, and the government want to protect the innocence of their youth, but when it comes to the dangers of the modern age, there is little any one can do.
Teens can always believe in their institutions to keep them safe, but often times there is not going to be anybody to help them when something goes wrong. Many teenagers understand this, but there are still people who believe that if they are attacked, a policeman will automatically come to arrest their attacker. To survive in this age, the youth of the world have had to evolve their way of reasoning. Common sense plays one of the biggest roles in our lives. Teenagers do not speak with strangers and do not go places that have reputations of being “not so friendly”. Hard as we may try, there are still things going on that we cannot prepare for.
I have always trusted my government to keep me safe, but in recent years I have slowly started to lose faith. It is hard to fight a war when you do not know who the enemy is. Terrorism in this country is like a nameless ghost. As we read reports of briefcases on the sides of buildings exploding in foreign countries, we can only wait until it happens here. Government can help prevent these with new airport security and military strategies, but it is impossible for them to see a threat that poses as ordinary life. Danger hides almost everywhere and can appear when you least expect it.
I believe that our families, our schools, and our government is doing their best to keep me safe, but my actions and choices are going to be the largest factor of my safety. They can filter, watch, and regulate people as much as possible, but that will not stop all of the crime being committed in the world. It is like blowing on a fire to put it out; it only makes it stronger. The more rules we make, the more creative they get with breaking them.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy