Trust And Safety: Common Sense

mward008
In the twenty-first century, it is hard to decipher where potential danger lurks. Teenagers in the United States have all been warned of the dark alley criminal, but many are oblivious to the danger that lurks in plain daylight. With modern technology, a computer and a camera are the only necessary tools for bad people to enter and harm the lives of any young American. How can you prevent something so sporadic and global? It is understandable that parents, schools, and the government want to protect the innocence of their youth, but when it comes to the dangers of the modern age, there is little any one can do.
Teens can always believe in their institutions to keep them safe, but often times there is not going to be anybody to help them when something goes wrong. Many teenagers understand this, but there are still people who believe that if they are attacked, a policeman will automatically come to arrest their attacker. To survive in this age, the youth of the world have had to evolve their way of reasoning. Common sense plays one of the biggest roles in our lives. Teenagers do not speak with strangers and do not go places that have reputations of being “not so friendly”. Hard as we may try, there are still things going on that we cannot prepare for.
I have always trusted my government to keep me safe, but in recent years I have slowly started to lose faith. It is hard to fight a war when you do not know who the enemy is. Terrorism in this country is like a nameless ghost. As we read reports of briefcases on the sides of buildings exploding in foreign countries, we can only wait until it happens here. Government can help prevent these with new airport security and military strategies, but it is impossible for them to see a threat that poses as ordinary life. Danger hides almost everywhere and can appear when you least expect it.
I believe that our families, our schools, and our government is doing their best to keep me safe, but my actions and choices are going to be the largest factor of my safety. They can filter, watch, and regulate people as much as possible, but that will not stop all of the crime being committed in the world. It is like blowing on a fire to put it out; it only makes it stronger. The more rules we make, the more creative they get with breaking them.