Trust and Safety: Getting Left Behind

flummerie
I was always one of the “smart kids”. Daily would I receive showers of praises from my teachers and parents and gladly would I bask in the inundation of compliments. Recognition for my achievements was the greatest gift anyone could have ever given me.
But it’s not like that anymore.
Ever since I have entered high school, slowly, ever so slowly has it been harder to receive a mere “Good job!” or “Congratulations!”. My friends and acquaintances have all discovered their own talents and are currently working hard to hone their skills, a feat I am jealous of. Although I have always had a knack for studying, I have no special skills or talents to speak of. And now I am afraid.
As the people who I left in the dust in the past catch up to me, I feel fear that one day I will be the one left in the dust. One day, I will be the person they look back on and laugh as they say, “I’m sure glad I didn’t turn out like her!”
However, this has opened my eyes to a new light. Now that in high school, we are discovering our own selves and deciding our futures, I am positive I will also be one of the people that marches confidently on.
Although my fear of being left behind eats away at me daily, I am sure that I will find the strength to throw it away and instead face forward with hope.