Trust and Safety: Securing America

dragonmaster80
Many teenagers may ask, “Is my country a safe place to live considering the crimes and security issues it faces?” Appalling stories of killings, beatings, and crimes fill daily news. These repulsive stories make people depressed and insecure. Teenagers may question the safety of their schools from intruders and gangs. My school has an annual safety drill to prepare us in case this problem arises. Although I live in a quiet and safe neighborhood, my parents would utilize the Second Amendment, the right to bear arms, to protect ourselves and property. Some people believe that the Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights should be eliminated, but I strongly believe that criminals would audaciously attack innocent people if not for the second amendment. My main concern regarding safety, however, involves America’s immigration, airport, and importation security.

Illegal aliens cross our borders to find the very thing we do not have enough of: jobs. I believe America must secure its borders for the safety of our country. Hostile individuals invade our borders along with many innocent ones. Unfortunately, an illegal Mexican infiltrated my quiet community by breaking into my neighbors’ house, assaulting them when they returned home. Unarmed and helpless, they were unable to defend their property, narrowly escaping injury by fleeing.

My second point of concern involves airport security. On 9/11, terrorists boarded planes, hijacking and crashing them, along with innocent, unarmed people, into the Twin Towers of New York City. I believe that America deserves secure airports. Airport personnel should concentrate their efforts on screening individuals from certain foreign countries and types of people who want insurrection in our country, allowing more time to defuse dangerous situations and deny aircraft passage to risky travelers. Insolent full body screenings and pat downs violate the intent of the Fourth Amendment of the Bill of Rights, which prevents unnecessary searches and seizures without probable cause. Identifying hazardous people over impounding mundane items carried by travelers is imperative in improving security. By incorporating bomb-sniffing dogs, airports could increase security by patrolling baggage areas and checkpoints with their handlers, determining items and people possibly posing threats.

Importation of goods creates another huge safety issue for our country. America imports many goods from China, and since they have few regulations, Americans could purchase potentially dangerous products. America, relaxing its standards of importation, accepted numerous flawed items such as: faulty tires, poisonous toothpaste, tainted drywall, milk, dog food, and unsafe toys. Who knows what faulty, poisoned, or unsafe product they will send overseas next? America must stop buying from China, increase the inspection of imported goods before shipping, or send Americans to China to inspect their quality standards. America upholds a better reputation for quality control and providing safer products to its consumers than most countries, but more improvements still need to be implemented.

For the safety of America, it is imperative to improve border and airport security, create tighter import regulations, and maintain the right to bear arms to succeed in fortifying our country.