Trust and Safety: Are You Really Safe?

pravsayroo
For many of us today, living in a peaceful and carefree environment is surreal. Terrorism has hit the U.S.A hard, especially New York. Ever since 9/11, America has never been the same. Everywhere you go there are new types of security (full body scanners.) Everywhere we are, at the back of our mind is insecurity and questions of “Am I safe?” Ten years ago walking down the street came with no fear, while today, we are constantly looking around to see if we are being followed. We are constantly warned to look for suspicious actions/items. The once thought haven called school also has been changed. There have been shootings and lockdowns in school. Innocent students that wanted an education died. Because of this, some people have turned to the internet as a safety net, but even the internet has evolved. Now there is cyber bullying and recently it has been on the rise. When some students think they can escape the bullying from school, they go online and the bullying escalates. Some students commit suicide because they can’t deal with the embarrassment. The worse thing about this is that there is no law against this. If a person commits suicide because of cyber bullying, the bully doesn’t even get convicted of a crime. I too am one of those people who are always scared that something is going to happen. Since the world is so corrupted, there are few places where I feel safe. I do feel like I am safe in my house. My family is very protective over me sometimes I find it a little too protective, but for me it’s better to be safe. Just as I trust my family, I trust my school. There are multiple drills every semester so that in case of an emergency all the students can evacuate the school without harm. I don’t really trust my government to keep us safe. The government is always so secretive of everything and when people ask for explanations there is always some excuse that doesn’t particularly match up. They have areas that are off guard to people such as “Area 51”. The government claims that this is just for research, but they are so secretive and many locals see bizarre occurrences there. When there are UFO sightings, many cases are immediately closed and no further questions. The government will manipulate people into saying things that are not true. If the government can do all these things and manipulate all these people, then why can’t they do other things that harm us? I gain trust in people/institutions if I know them personally. I don’t know the senators, presidents, etc. personally enough for me to come out with the conclusion that they will try their best to keep us safe. This is why I believe that my school and family will keep me safe, but I still have doubts with the government until they can prove themselves to me.