Trust and Safety: At what cost?

tommorse22
"Give me Liberty, or give me Death!", the words of a real patriot. He stood ready to give up his life for freedom and the freedom of his countrymen and throughout our history many brave Americans have done the same. They were all willing to pay the ultimate price to protect our freedom. Millions of them did. With this great cost of liberty in mind, are we really willing to give away our freedom for trust and safety?

Ever since the passing of the Patriot Act giving away our freedoms for our safety has become a theme in today's society. I don't want to watch as it becomes a theme in our nation's high schools and universities as well. 12 students and 1 one teacher are killed at a high school in Columbine and as a result we allow the event and it's media attention to make us feel unsafe in our own high schools, to fear for our students. The fact is that this is an isolated event and we do not need to take away the freedoms of our nation's youth in order to protect them.

I am a senior at a public high school in Sarasota, Florida and I am more worried that my school will become an Orwellian dystopia, similar to the one seen in "1984", than I fear for my safety. As the school becomes gated and guarded, security-cameraed and patrolled, I begin to feel subjugated rather than safe. I begin to feel caged rather than protected. This is just the beginning. I have heard of metal detectors at school entrances and of locking students on campus.

People also seem to overlook the fact that the cameras and gates do not make us have trust in our school but rather send the message, "you are not trusted". We cannot feel a trusted and valued member of the community while we are caged and watched. We are students, not criminals or convicts.

I love high school. Sometimes I don't feel safe and I definitely don't trust the school to keep me safe but I am learning how to keep myself safe. Learning how to cope in dangerous situations and how to keep ourselves safe is an important life skill and an important part in growing up. Every time we get into a car or cross the street we are put into a dangerous situation and we would be lying to ourselves to think otherwise. We don't need to outlaw cars or dig tunnels under every road as we are attempting to do in schools across he country. We need to give our nation's students the freedom and respect that they deserve and teach them how to keep themselves safe.

Great job! You pose a very interesting point. I don't know the answers, but your way of bringing this serious issue to light got me to thinking. You really did a good job here!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:23:24 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:52:58 PM