Trust and Safety: It's a Jungle Out There

abbeykat
“It’s a jungle out there.” Marissa Klein, a seventeen year old president of her class, was found sprawled in her backyard, blood gushing out a bullet wound. The anchorwoman reported the killer was unknown, but her computer’s search history showed Ms. Klein making plans to meet a friend from an Internet chat room. Her parents were devastated. “A mighty, mighty jungle,” my mom sighed and continued folding the laundry. “The predators got their prey.”
As I lied in my bed that night, fear began to creep into my mind. The glow of my computer screen haunted me. I could end up bleeding in my backyard. I could be the next Marissa Klein and not even see it coming. Sure, my mother warns me about Internet predators, but once my door has been shut, I’m on my own. I am free to look up anything, post anything, and talk to anybody. Because even though my parents set restrictions, they are not standing over my shoulder when it’s three in the morning and I suddenly need entertainment. They are not typing the words into the search engine for me. I do that myself. I wander into the jungle alone. It is my responsibility to keep myself away from the predators, and my parents cannot do anything about it. I have to trust myself. I provide my own safety.
The next day, the realization hit me hard. My parents cannot protect me on everything. I am responsible for my own actions. I could either lure the tigers in like Marissa Klein did, or stay a safe distance away. It is most certainly a mighty, mighty jungle out there and nobody can protect us but ourselves.

It's true....life is a series of decisions and choices. It is up to us to make the right ones!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:01:16 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:40:08 PM