Trust and Safety: Do You Trust Our Institutions to Keep us Safe?

JoDianee
Teenagers in today’s world have grown accustomed to things such as terrorist plots and “stalkers” on social networks. Columbine has taught us about the reality of school shootings, and 9/11 showed us that we are still in danger thirty-thousand feet in the air. In all actuality we are in danger everywhere, but people such as our parents, our schools, and even our government goes to great lengths to make us forget about danger and feel safe. The question is: do I trust them to do their job when the opportunity presents itself?
We are taught from birth to trust our parents, because they will keep us safe. In the event of a tragedy I do trust my parents to protect me. Their parental instinct will take over and they will do what they have to do in order to insure I’m protected. I also believe that our government has earned the right to be trusted with our safety. Ever since 9/11 airport security has improved to prevent any reoccurrences, our government issued those changes. They have also, over the years, stopped countless copycats and small bomb threats. I don’t, however trust our schools to protect us in the time of an emergency. The teacher/student ratio is too off-balanced to ensure that every student is accounted for. My school certainly makes an effort to make us feel safe, don’t get me wrong, but my school doesn’t have something as small as security cameras, someone could easily walk in and remake Columbine. I also think there would just be a mass panic. Teachers and faculty would try to follow the rules and get us out in an “orderly fashion.” In a reality I believe we would all be running around like chickens with our heads cut off, for lack of a better metaphor.
For the most part I do trust our institutions to keep me safe. My parents have instinct and our government has the means. Our schools have the want but I don’t believe they have the capability to protect us. Even though the try.