Trust and Safety: The Government

walmartversionofpoe
"Trust, but verify." These words, spoken by Ronald Reagan, are my exact thoughts on the issue of trust. I believe that everyone should be given your trust until they have been given a reason to lose it. When asked if I trust the government to keep me safe, my answer is a teetering "yes." I will always respect and rely on the men and women of the forces and army to protect my country and I, but sometimes things happen that make my brain twist like a pretzel in confusion. Stories emerge onto the TV screen of a police officer secretly working against their collegues and members of the army quarelling with each other. Such stories are the reason that my trust in the government teeters. These people are my protection, and why would I put my trust into someone who cannot even reason themselves? When I find out the government is corrupt withing itself, I have trouble putting all my trust in their hands. However, not everyone is corrupt. I believe that people are initially good, and they should be trusted for that. If I get a feeling that the people keeping me safe are against me, I will have to assess the situation myself. I must verify that I am being kept under the wings of an honest government. That is why my answer to the question of trusting the government to keep me safe is a teetering yes. I do trust the government, but at times I need verification that they are honest and deserve my trust.