Trust and Safety: Do we feel safe?

NARFNra

“Are we protecting our children?” is a question that has been asked by parents and other adults alike for almost the length of our known history. As it is, however, relatively few seem to think about whether the children and teenagers themselves feel safe and protected, or if they feel like they’re caught in a web of legislature meant only to make the adults feel like they are succeeding while their plans spiral into more and more regulations that accomplish nothing.
To be truly honest, I don’t feel safe from these regulations currently imposed today. However, it’s very important to note that I do not feel unsafe. On the contrary, I believe that some of the restrictions are enough to guarantee safety. The reason I do not feel safe are that sometimes I suspect the people in power are utilizing the tools they are marketing as ‘only for our safety’ and using them to perform acts that would have been illegal in the past.
Take the Patriot Act as an example. The Patriot Act is a massive violation of the people’s privacy. As an inland American, I have little fear of being killed in some sort of terror attack, even one performed or orchestrated by a native! I do not fear terrorism. However, I fear the government. As stated, the Patriot Act allows the government to spy into my actions and look at exactly what I am doing. You may state it is hyperbole, but since when is tapping phones legal? Since the Patriot Act. This is one reason I am afraid of some sort of enclosing government.
In addition, I think that the whole ‘age of fear’ is getting very irritating as a whole. People create ridiculous restrictions to prevent attacks by people, but are they not causing the populace to hate restriction and become even more angry on average with their restrictions? I believe that we need to seriously rethink our method of making restrictions and forcing ridiculously large amounts of rules on the people simply because it could happen. I believe in freedom of many things including speech, and the fact that our country is currently focused so much on self-censorship and manipulating itself makes me angry.
All and all, one only has to look at the past to see that many of these restrictions don’t even help prevent the crimes they are meant to! If we are making these rules and they are for things that seriously are not helping and have not helped, I think we need to change society as a whole. So to answer the question, no, I do not really feel safe in this world, but not for reasons related to the things the rules are meant to prevent. I want less rules, and I will not feel safe until such disgusting things as the Patriot Act are gone.

You state your case well. Trying not to get too political, I both agree and slightly disagree with a couple of your points....but that is the beauty of it...you can say it without fear of persecution, prosecution or execution! There may be many in this world that would rather see one of those three, and possibly even here within our own country. Educating yourselves at young ages and becomong active at the age to vote is the best way to assure that your fears and concerns will be less of in our future. While true that there is only so much we can do, what we do will matter for generations to come. Great job!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:51:56 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:48:50 PM