Trust and Safety: Defending Yourself Against Social Media

kestep

Walking through the crowded hallways and dodging people coming the opposite directions, I make my way to my first period accounting class. Teachers monitor the hallways to keep students from doing things they shouldn't and to keep everyone safe, but they can't monitor what is said in text messages, Facebook comments, and other social media during the school day.

As a teenage girl in today's technology focused world, I am constantly watching my back to see if someone has posted something about me that I do not want seen. Normally, I am very composed and controlled, but like every other high school student, I have my moments where I slip up,say or do something I shouldn't, and make stupid choices. The tech savvy world I live in has made it possible for these moments to follow me for the rest of my life. All someone has to do is video me on his or her cell phone, upload the video to the internet, and wait for it to haunt me for the rest of my life.

Because of this, I must constantly monitor everything I say and do so that it will not follow me as I apply for college scholarships, move on to the proffesional world, and start a family. Unlike during my parents' generation, there is a medium that allows everyone in the world to see what people say and think about me. Things that are posted on the internet are also more permanent than simple gossip in schools.

High school is challenging enough as it is. But with the invention of social media, my mistakes can be put on display for the rest of the world to see and follow me through life.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:59:09 PM