Trust and Safety: Parents Are Helpless Against Cyber-Bullying

pink94
“She said something about me on her Facebook.” This is a typical statement heard while walking down the high school halls. Someone is bound to be talking about this or that he or she has seen on Facebook. Everyone has one. Facebook is supposed to be a nontoxic place for people to keep in touch with friends and family, but teens are using it to torment others. Why does this occur? There is no one there who is able to stop it. Parents are not able to protect their children from cyber-bulling.

Most people have computers at their houses: now days it is inevitable. Kids have access to internet and computers all the time. All they have to do is type in a few words, and they can be on any website saying whatever they want to say. But, no one is monitoring their actions while using it. Parents are working, cleaning, cooking dinner, or even resting from a busy day. Kids are free to surfer the web as they please. This is how cyber-bullying occurs.

Although networking websites, such as Facebook, are created to keep people together, in my age group, it does the opposite. Most of the brawls at schools are provoked by the internet. Someone says something about someone else or posts a picture that someone does not like; the list could go on and on. It is very easy to act tough on behind a computer screen. Very callous and wounding things are said on the internet everyday. Millions of kids around the world are being cyber-bullied. If parents were able to stop these actions, they would have done so already.

Parental locks on computers are a nice touch. They make some parents feel like they are monitoring what their kids are viewing on the web, but really, parental locks only work for little kids. Most parents are pretty conventional. They make their passwords of their kids’ name or pets’ name, even a favorite team. Kids know these types of habits of their parents and can figure out the passwords. Even if kids can not figure out the password, there are ways around the website blocks. Kids are devious; they know these tricks. So what is the point of having parental locks on certain websites? Parents believe they are protecting their kids, but in reality they are doing nothing. The predicament is kids have grown up with this technology and can find a way around almost anything on the internet. It is a nice attempt, but it will not work.

Overall, if parents were able to protect their children from cyber-bulling, they would be doing it. I do not know of any parents who would say they would not want to protect their child from anything that could harm them. Parents may do the best they can. But, that is not sufficient. There is no way possible to prevent cyber-bullying unless computers are revoked from society.

Sometimes I wonder if your last sentence isn't the answer?! Unfortunately, before computers and Facebook, some of these same problems existed in 'real time'. However, these utilities make it a whole lot easier these days. is it safe to say that as always, maybe it's not the vehicle but the driver? You made an interesting case and very well written!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:41:26 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:58:47 PM