Trust and Safety: Sometimes It's Beyond Our Power

laurenbachur
It’s a tricky question asking if you trust your government, school, and parents to keep you safe. The better question would be to ask, “Do you trust your government, school, and parents to try to keep you safe.” In that case, yes, I do, but sometimes keeping and maintaining safety isn’t within one’s power. I do trust the government. I trust my school, and I trust my parents. I trust that each of these will always try to keep me safe, but I don’t trust that they will always be successful.
My parents are perfectly capable of guiding me towards safe decisions, but they won’t always be capable of protecting our home. What happens if there’s a robbery, or there’s an electrical conflict and a fire breaks out? My parents can’t always control whether or not these things happen. Sometimes, disaster occurs. I trust that my parents will do everything in their power to prevent disasters, but their power only stretches so far.
This is the same for the government. Our government does a good job securing the nation; we have an active military and government-run agencies for citizen protection. I trust the police force and the military; I trust the court systems. But the government can’t prevent terrorist attacks. 9-11 is an example. Firefighters, police officers, medics, even citizens did everything they could to help get people to safety that day, but the government had no idea the attack was going to happen. How can I fully trust someone to keep me safe when it’s just not always in their power?
I feel the same way about my school system. Bel Air High is one of the safest schools in my area. There are rarely any fights, and we practice fire drills as if they’re a sport. The administration takes student safety seriously, but their power of safety only reaches to those who comply. For example, last year a few students called in a bomb threat to multiple schools in my area. Immediately safety precautions were followed. Our school was evacuated immediately, and police were called. We waited in the cold for over an hour while the school was thoroughly searched. It turned out that there was no bomb, but what if there had been? The school cannot always prevent crime, but they can do everything to try to maintain safety. They can’t prevent school shootings if one student decides to bring a gun to school, Columbine being a prime example,
I don’t question whether or not my safety is being maintained by my government, school, or parents. That’s been proved true my entire life. But I do question their ability to maintain that safety. Sometimes life can be traumatic, whether it’s internal or external. Some things can be controlled, but others, such as terrorism, accidental tragedies, and other people, can’t always be. Complete safety is impossible, but the effort of safety is not.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:42:13 PM