Trust and Safety: Safer at the nest.

aliwisnieski
To be an adolescent growing up in current day society can be a little scary. Especially if you are a teenager like myself; someone who is diligent and hardworking, someone who doesn’t drink on the weekends, or smoke after school. Often times, kids like me get lost in the mix because we are not “cool” enough for others. This makes me feel a little bit uneasy. The problem at hand becomes, “If I am not cool enough, what must I do in order to be cool?” and often times that has a very alarming answer.

One would think that schools would be on top of kids, with things like drunk driving, recreational drug use, and smoking becoming prevalent in a typical teenager’s life. However, this is not the case at my school. Kids come into class in the morning stoned, or they do and/or sell drugs in the bathroom. And then their rationale for WHY they do it in the first place is because, “Everyone else is doing it.” Just a few weeks ago at a football game, somebody from my school got drunk and drove his car into a mother and a son walking by the car in the parking lot. It is sad that both my school district and local police cannot help control this problem more. Nothing seems to ever change, and I feel extremely unsafe in my own classroom. You never know when somebody is going to snap and come in with a gun, or assault another classmate because they’ve gone off the deep end on drugs or alcohol. This has become such a concern that we are looking into private school options for next year. I hope that will help solve these issues.

On the other hand, there are also many times of the day when I feel extremely safe. For example, when I am with my parents, I know that if anybody tried to hurt me, they would protect me until the death. Also, I trust the government to keep me safe as well. There’s a reason why there haven’t been any full-blown terrorist attacks on airports since 9/11, and I think it should be accredited to the government, and the airport security.

In my opinion, I feel safest at home, and I know I am lucky for this, as there are kids my age who feel frightened at home. I sometimes dread going to school, because I have to deal with bullies, ideals, and teens that are under the influence. No matter how many clubs my school starts, or how many rules they put in place, the problem never seems to go away. And for that reason, I do not feel safe whatsoever at school.

Your plight is saddening. Yet the reality is that there seems to be an echoing agreement at large to this. What could make schools safer? Is it more metal detectors and lock downs? Is it the society we live in at large? You state your points well!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:09:40 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:51:04 PM
Comment by aliwisnieski

WOW! Thanks so much! I'm delighted. . .it just made my day. :)
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:13:04 PM