Trust and Saftey: We Must Believe in Ourselves to Change the Outcome of the Inevitable

ciaobella14
I was nine when a grave announcement came on the loud speaker of my elementary school. The principle announced that it was Code Zebra and we were all to shuffle out of our classrooms and move into the hallways, lining the sides. My classmates and I did not understand what was happening. A few of them began to cry. My teacher attempted to calm us down by saying that this was only a drill in case something was ever to happen. But by this age we knew the extent of traumatic events that could happen out of nowhere. It had only been three years after the horrific news of 9/11 had hit our school. We had heard from the news of bombings, terrorist attacks, school shootings that were happening around the globe. But just because they were happening somewhere else did not comfort us. If it was happening somewhere, what was going to stop it from happening to us?

I had always imagined that nothing bad could ever happen to anyone in my town because it was so small. Yet when I was thirteen I realized that it didn’t matter where I lived, bad things could happen to anyone, anywhere. I was in my woodshop classroom, which had a door to the outside, when one of my classmates started yelling to my teacher that there was a man by the window trying to get in. My teacher started shouting directions at us back up against the wall at the other end of the room. He then grabbed his phone and called the police. At this point the man had moved onto another part of the building, and later in the day we found out that he’d only been trying to deliver materials and had gone to the wrong door. But the sense of fear and alarm that crossed my teacher’s face made me feel as if even he wasn’t completely sure of how safe our school was.
That same year abductions prevailed in New Jersey, and once again I was doubtful that anything could happen in my little town. But my neighbor was almost abducted, right in front of her house. Luckily she ran into a nearby house and called the police before anything occurred.

In my opinion there are some things in life that are inevitable. Parents, guardians, teachers etc. won’t always be around at the right time to protect their youth and so the biggest amount of trust we should have in protection should be in ourselves. Everyone should have a plan of action in case something bad were to happen, the same way we’ve been told to have a plan in case of a house fire. We should be able to think logically on our feet and take as many precautions as possible to avoid something bad from happening. In contemporary society we are most frequently surrounded by others; be it in person or online, but it’s those times when we’re alone and have to think on our own that could potentially matter the most.
Comment by LivyluvsJC

Very well written! Very cool how you incorporated several of your experiences into your post. I also loved how you could write your feelings down so well. And you had a very persuasive post.
I don't agree with everything. We can't always be waiting for the worst things to happen, because most of the time the worst things won't happen. Also trusting ourselves isn't wise either. We can't even rely on ourselves to not do something wrong!
And coming from a Christian point of view, I have to trust Jesus to be there when things happen, to guard me and to always be there.

You're a very great writer! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!
Livy
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:33:42 PM
Comment by ciaobella14

Livy,
Thank you!! I also believe that we shouldn't be waiting for bad things to happen, but I do think that we should be prepared in the event that they do. I also agree with you that we should keep faith in Jesus to watch over us at all times and keep us safe, that's a great perspective and so true! :)
-Felicia
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:44:25 PM