Trust and Safety: Least of My Worries

avalancheLily
In recent years, more emphasis has been placed on institutions trying too hard to be safe than not hard enough. The airport security scans have been getting ridiculous in their exhaustiveness, school drills are so frequent that we regard them with a sort of amused exasperation, and stories of helicopter parents have received more time in the news than studies on irresponsible ones. There hasn’t been a single major terrorist attack on the United States since 9/11, crime has seen a clear overall trend downwards for decades, and although the internet presents risks, as does any such open-ended interactions with the world at large, the opportunities far outweigh the dangers. Perhaps these optimistic notions can be accredited directly to institutions; perhaps not. But as modern America stands today, the probability any given teen will drive themselves into a telephone pole is far higher than their chances of getting blown up, shot, or molested by some random creeper online.

American teens will face plenty of difficulties as they grow up in this day and age. The economy still shows lackluster growth, and considering the deep-rooted causes of our nation’s decline, many of us might be left jobless when we get out of school. Secondary education grows more and more expensive, and our parents grow less and less able to support us. Under these circumstances, overdramatic concerns about the tiny risks of being attacked should be the least of our concerns. Schools in my district are regularly locked down, but thus far our district seems to have escaped any psychopaths looking to massacre schoolchildren. Even the internet is not terribly dangerous as long as basic common sense rules are followed: don’t talk to strangers; don’t go wandering down dark alleyways or clicking on random links; don’t tell people you’ve never met your name, age, and address. Cyberbullying is the same as any other bullying, in which the victim either deals with it or someone reports it to an adult. There are numerous institutions to help, from harassment hotlines to school guidance counselors. Adults can’t be expected to monitor our every move, but we have the tools to help ourselves. My school once experienced an incident involving cyberbullying, but once the girl in question told the teachers, the perpetrators were summarily expelled and the entire school lectured extensively. The institution was perfectly effective.

I choose to trust in the institutions, and they haven’t let me down yet. Call me naïve, but I stand unafraid. I have better things to worry about.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:43:43 PM