Trust and Safety: The Generation of Terror

Freyii
We live in an era of terror and innocent but misguided people. Between cyber-bullying, terrorism, and school shootings it’s hard to imagine anyone could ever feel safe. The government and media has made all of our lives more difficult with ridiculous security/safety protocols that chances are will not help us in an actual real-world event, should the situation arise. Cavity searches because someone has on a turban, or simply just looks foreign? Sad but true, things like that happen now simply because people are terrified of a very small threat. I understand 9/11 was a tragedy, and we cannot allow it to happen again; but there comes a time where it’s either safety or comfort and freedom; the government seems to be choosing safety, although I’m sure our citizens would choose otherwise. They say we’re fighting terrorism when in reality all we are doing is terrifying our citizens even more when one of these “disaster drills” happen. I, for one, have seen several “lock-downs” in action, and what do they do? If it’s a red lock down, everyone starts asking questions because guess what? If there is a nut with a gun frolicking around the school letting off rounds I’m running for my life no matter what a teacher says! Drills can not override the human instinct to survive at all costs, no matter what it takes. Videos of the Columbine shootings display this perfectly. Although Columbine occurred prior to many of the safety standards the situation, by comparison, be the same. Hundreds of kids scattering; I mean think about it, wouldn’t it be easier for the shooter(s) to find people if they’re all locked in a room like a bunch of sheep? If they’re all scattering for doors, it’s hectic but I really think fewer people would get hurt due to the frantic nature of the situation. I also know your average public school does not frisk each student individually, aside from very special occasions; it would simply be too time consuming and costly to do that every single day of the school year. So taking that in to account, could someone sneak a weapon or two in to school? Probably, I hate to say it but all the government is trying to do is scare us. Why? The government wants us to depend on it; they want us to feel helpless so we need them. It is a vicious cycle, but it all works out in the politicians’ favor in the end.
Some may consider me a conspiracy theorist, thinking the government is “out to get us,” but do you think they are worried about us or just their paychecks? We all like to think we are safe but after reading my view at how the media/government treats the generation we live in; do you really think you are safe? Or is it just a veil, an illusion to keep us content with our government? I think the later but I’ll let you decide for yourself.

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:50:43 PM
Comment by jasoncaleb

I agree with your views about it not making sense. And I think a lot of times, drills are in place for us to be conscious of the dangers, and although I'm sure someone who has a lot of brains and knowledge on these things probably has a clear idea of why they would lock people down in a room instead, and I agree with you that it doesn't make sense to give an attacker an easier target of a room full of people.

I think as long as we do not allow these things to keep us naive of what's around us, is the important thing, and I think you for one are not naive and that is good. Hope to see you continue to write and share your stories here.
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:39:59 PM