Trust and Safety: What Can We Trust?

MeTheAwesome1
So many things feel safe to us- our home, our friends, and our school. As we situate ourselves in life, though, even every day basics have become a danger to teens. Our home is starting with what is most close to us. It should be a haven with no peer pressure, no teachers, and hopefully no one who would want to hurt us. Even though it is hard to believe, our home can even be a danger. The first thing that comes to mind as a danger in a home, is our computer, laptop, iPod, or anything else with an internet connection. Internet in itself is a familiar thing to our generation, but even something as simple as giving out the name of the restaurant we work at can be dangerous. What if that person we whine to about our awful hours is not really a teenager like they claim to be? With just a small reference to our job, they could kidnap, rob us, or worse.

Probably the second thing we are most comfortable with is our friends. We grew up with them, how could they ever harm us? Unfortunately, where friends can harm us is not new for our generation. Peer pressure has been around from the beginning. Sure, peer pressure does not seem overly dangerous, but when we look past what hair style or class we choose, it can be a much more tremendous issue. Our friends influence us so much without our noticing, but when it comes down to things like doing drugs, we should pay more attention to what it is we will do for friends and where it is we need to draw the line.

School- it’s such a simple, harmless word, yet every time a teenager hears it, anguished groans are sure to be heard. We do not like school; it is as plain as that. Our reasons for not liking it are, well, obvious. No one would like the glaring teachers, mountainous loads of homework, and long study hours it ensues, but can school be a danger? Maybe not the school in itself, but the students who are enrolled there can be. Stories constantly fly across the news about innocent children being constantly harassed. A bit of playful teasing is fine, but when the harassment gets to a point where suicidal thoughts brim to the surface of our brains, immediate help is needed.

So now we are left with the question, what can we trust? With dangers prying at us in our regular routines, can we make it out safely? I believe the answer is to be extremely cautious with what and who we trust- because as soon as we trust someone, our safety is put in their hands.
Comment by EdgarPoe

I liked your analysis of the exchange of trust and safety
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:31:31 AM
Comment by MeTheAwesome1

Thanks!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:19:48 PM