Trust and Safety: Do I Really Trust You?

KatyLovesYew
We all hear it. The predators, the messed up people, the ones that would kill us if they had the chance. At a young age, we get scolded. We are told the same thing again and again and again. “Don’t give out your address, or your cell phone number. Be careful who you talk too.” But are we really? If you ask the majority of teens, no, we’re not. It’s impossible to believe these risks are real.
Hey, in my opinion, if this guy wants to find me, he’s going to find me. It doesn’t matter if I give him my phone number and address; he’s got my school and state. It’s right there on Facebook. My parents can’t do anything about it if they track me down, and neither can the government.
School. Lockdown drills. Stupidest thing ever in my opinion. “Okay, so this guy wants to kill us. But he’s totally not going to come in if the door’s locked, and the lights are off. Nobody can see through the totally obvious window into the room. Of course not! He wouldn’t break the look either; that would simply be illogical.” You’re kidding, right? I would SO feel safe like that.
Nine-Eleven totally destroyed my faith in the government. They can’t keep thousands of people safe from planes. They allowed police officers to die trying to help a hopeless cause. Isn’t there a point where someone should have said “Hey? We can’t save these people. Stop. Nobody else should go in.” Also, back to the pedophile thing. Why aren’t they keeping us safe from them?
All in all, I don’t have much faith in anyone. When It comes down to it, do I really have a reason too? Time and time again, these people have proven themselves untrustworthy. Kids are still dying. I face so many dangers every day. But I’m not scared enough to protect myself from the obvious dangers; I don’t care enough to stop giving out my cell phone number and address. Maybe we shouldn’t be asking if we trust the school, maybe we should be asking if we’re protecting ourselves.
Comment by Enidzaini

You may also read my essay of the same topic. My point is nearly the same but different , safety and trust is in our hands to be careful but obviously even with most precautions still anything can happen, so for that we ought to ask GOD to save you for if you are cautious and on the right path.
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:44:25 AM

I just wanted to let you know that we featured your essay on the Stage of Life Facebook page today. If you would like to check it, out go to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stage-of-Life/70579036609

Feel free to share the news with your friends and family. You're famous! :)
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 2:00:00 PM
Comment by farmgirlwrites

You have a very interesting point, that we should be protecting ourselves versus putting our trust in various institutions. Great essay!
-Amanda (High School Stage Editor)
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:17:59 AM