STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust and Safety: When we can't trust our safety in any hands but our own

Julia.Andreasen
As children, the thoughts running through our minds were of the new friends we made at school, or the brand new toy mommy promised to buy. Our main focus was not on the fact that the guy sitting next to us looked shady, or that every day the news constantly poured out the ideas of threats from terrorists, threats online, and even threats from people we thought we could trust. How could a few years, between being an innocent child and an on-edge teen, change so much? As we grow older, our brains develop and gain a desire and curiosity to know more. This can be great for learning in school; however, it can become daunting when the information involves issues of safety and danger. Your parents have always been the keepers of your world, your schedule for that month, plans for that week, and even meals for that day. What happens, then, when you learn that someday all of those responsibilities will soon become yours? What do we do when we find out that with those responsibilities comes the obligation to keep ourselves safe? This is when you stop and think about the word trust. Who can I trust with what information and what should I keep to myself. Many things we cannot help but put into the hands of others just because they are out of our league; take the government, for example. In the United States, we live everyday believing that our government and security will shield us from danger because that is the role that we can entrust them with. As teenagers grow up in a cautious and guarded country, it is no wonder that they are often alert to their surroundings and wary of where they go and who they meet. When older generations see this, they may think that feelings of constant attentiveness are abnormal and unnecessary; however, this continual awareness helps keep teens conscience of what they’re doing and how it might affect their safety. There are many doorways and portals that lead the “villains” of our world to our bubbles of safety; however, with the right awareness and cognizance, one can be ready to affectively (and responsibly) take their safety into their own hands.
Rate this:
Comment by LSimpson

Great insight and well written. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:35:59 PM
Rate this:
Comment by DarkStar49

Great essay! I enjoyed the content and it was very well stated. Great job!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:56:08 AM
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:39:49 PM
Rate this:
Comment by jasoncaleb

I like the way you ended your essay. It's good to be mindful of our surroundings, it's good to have an understanding of the dangers out there, but like you said, we just need to be aware of those and not let them ruin our "bubbles of safety" to where we don't feel safe. Good writing.
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:40:24 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy