Trust and Safety: When we can't trust our safety in any hands but our own

Julia.Andreasen
As children, the thoughts running through our minds were of the new friends we made at school, or the brand new toy mommy promised to buy. Our main focus was not on the fact that the guy sitting next to us looked shady, or that every day the news constantly poured out the ideas of threats from terrorists, threats online, and even threats from people we thought we could trust. How could a few years, between being an innocent child and an on-edge teen, change so much? As we grow older, our brains develop and gain a desire and curiosity to know more. This can be great for learning in school; however, it can become daunting when the information involves issues of safety and danger. Your parents have always been the keepers of your world, your schedule for that month, plans for that week, and even meals for that day. What happens, then, when you learn that someday all of those responsibilities will soon become yours? What do we do when we find out that with those responsibilities comes the obligation to keep ourselves safe? This is when you stop and think about the word trust. Who can I trust with what information and what should I keep to myself. Many things we cannot help but put into the hands of others just because they are out of our league; take the government, for example. In the United States, we live everyday believing that our government and security will shield us from danger because that is the role that we can entrust them with. As teenagers grow up in a cautious and guarded country, it is no wonder that they are often alert to their surroundings and wary of where they go and who they meet. When older generations see this, they may think that feelings of constant attentiveness are abnormal and unnecessary; however, this continual awareness helps keep teens conscience of what they’re doing and how it might affect their safety. There are many doorways and portals that lead the “villains” of our world to our bubbles of safety; however, with the right awareness and cognizance, one can be ready to affectively (and responsibly) take their safety into their own hands.
Comment by LSimpson

Great insight and well written. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 3:35:59 PM

Great essay! I enjoyed the content and it was very well stated. Great job!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:56:08 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:39:49 PM
Comment by jasoncaleb

I like the way you ended your essay. It's good to be mindful of our surroundings, it's good to have an understanding of the dangers out there, but like you said, we just need to be aware of those and not let them ruin our "bubbles of safety" to where we don't feel safe. Good writing.
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 5:40:24 PM