Trust and Safety: A Crumbling Veil

abailey_agora
I’ve learned that it’s best not to trust anyone to keep you safe. You have to rely on your own intelligence to keep yourself safe. At a certain point it becomes impossible for your parents to shield you from the true horrors of the world, try as they might. There is no way to hide the hideousness that we have created: the mass murder and genocide, the anger and hate crimes, the slurs and the push to be “politically correct”. Do I love my mother? Of course I do. However, love won’t keep me safe. She will keep tabs on me. She will call me every hour on the hour and I will answer or face the consequences. However, she won’t be able to keep me safe. The government won’t be able to keep me safe. There are people every day that get into this country with bad intentions, and some of them will succeed in carrying them out. It’s a sad fact of life that evil will always prevail, no matter how much good there is.
Terroristic threats aren’t my biggest concern. I worry about the rapists and murderers that lurk in every dark corner of the world, the “bad people” that adults warn children against from day one. How are we supposed to keep ourselves safe when the government lets them out on parole all the time? If the world is this unsafe now, I’m scared to think about how bad it will be for my children. My mother talks of a time when she left her door unlocked and her car keys in the ignition and I cringe at the recklessness. I’ve been raised to be overcautious, because if I am not, I will end up dead. And that’s not a risk I am willing to take.