STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust and Safety: My Barely Metaphorical Desk

me-o-maya
Pre-K
I don’t remember but mom said I used to have fire drills.

Kindergarten
I remember lining up outside my school with my friends, giggling because we got to stand next to each other. The ultimate reward.

1st Grade
Fire drills meant very loud bells at my new school. They hurt my ears and so I would plug them and look around wide eyed as we were herded outside.
Our teacher taught us a new drill for Ter-o-rists.
We have to turn off the lights and sit under our desks.
We have to stay away from the windows.
When I asked my teacher if we can go outside for recces she shook her head sadly.

2nd Grade
More fire drills but I’m a big girl now and I don’t have to plug my ears, only little kids do that!
Our first tornado drill! We evacuate to the basement and our teacher reads us Junie B Jones to keep us quite.
We don’t have so many ter-o-rist drills now.

3rd Grade
More alarms and drills.

Fast forward a few years and here I am:
Evacuating to our school field for fire alarms and ignoring terrorist alerts.
Why do I ignore them? After all the alerts are their to save the lives of Americans.
Except in the capital alerts are more common than wi-fi hot spots.

Alerts are meant to keep me safe just like the drills I did in first grade were meant to keep me safe from the 2002 sniper shootings

I wonder though. If the sniper had actually come to my school would hiding under my desk help? Somehow I‘m not convinced that hiding is the way. Hiding from the ghosts of whispered suspicions isn’t going to help me live my life.
I’ll walk to the field when my school alarms ring, and I’ll leave DC if it’s evacuated. I’m not going to be the grandmother sitting in her house scared to leave or not believing in bombs. But I don’t want to live under my desk either.

Yes I trust my school to tell me when to evacuate, and when to hide under my desk.

Yes I trust our government to evacuate DC if they foresee danger, and to stop terrorist attempts before they pose a danger.

However, there are some things that I can’t be protected from, that I have to protect myself from. How many times have I heard “the Internet is a big scary place”?
Many, many times. From teachers and counselors. From my parents and family. Even from bus stop adds that I stare at while waiting for my bus.

It’s the crouching under my desk issue all over again. Yes there are metaphorical, and non-metaphorical snipers out there, but living under a desk metaphorical or not, isn’t going to help me. My school can guide me to make the right decisions but, in the end it’s my job to choose.

So desk or no desk?
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy