Trust and Safety: The wise aren't in charge

CurlyDz

In our modern society, students are taught the dangers of everyday life, and of the evils that lurk out on the streets. They are informed of all the terrors; Serial killers that don't care who they off, online cyber bullies that are protected by their anonymity, and all those other creeps just trying to wedge their way in.

Perhaps knowledge is the poisoned apple. Teenagers know about the dangers of the world, because they are constantly preached at about it. Eventually, they tune out the lectures about being out after dark, and talking to strangers. Ask yourself this: After your mom has told you to clean up your room for the 133rd time, are you following instructions, or are you daydreaming about what you will do after she's done yammering? Due to constant exposure to the problems of the world, we are growing careless about our own safety, and that makes it a harder job for the institutions to protect us.

The main reason for why there are so many children suspectible to cyber bullying and all the other dangers in the world is because they don't share their concerns with their parents, for whatever reasons. They may think that their parents don't understand, or that their parents don't have to time to listen. Or, they just don't want their parents to be dissapointed in finding out that their child is being bullied. If the children don't talk to their parents, they're certainly not going to open up to their school counsellors or any public figures.

What have our teachers, parents and government done? Many states have either pronounced cyber bullying/stalking illegal, or are working hard to make it illegal. This is due to the increase of teenage suicides in the past few years. The public is trying to protect their young, but they just don't know enough, or they don't find out in time.

What can the public and the parents do to protect their children from cyber bullying and other concerns? They can find ways to help them open up. Communication is what we all have to work on. We need to start hearing the problems and concerns of the younger generation so that they won't feel the need to bare their soul out to complete strangers on the internet.

You nailed it! Great job. You brought up a good point.
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 8:35:17 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:58:25 PM