STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust and Safety: Where is that innocence I once knew?

Jennay
Hmm… do I trust? It seems that in today’s generation, emotions that were so sacred are now things people will say to total strangers! For example, when was the last time you’ve said you loved someone and absolutely meant it? We say it to our friends all the time, or we say that we are in love with celebrities, like Justin Bieber, yet we don’t even know these people. But enough about love, this is about trust and safety. Trust is such a complicated concept, sometimes it feels like the older we get, the concept of trust is lost. When we are babies we are so innocent and naive that it’s easy to trust, and as you get older you get so overly protective and harsh. Kids have parents to keep them safe for them though. However, once you become a teenager it feels like so many of us are just looking for someone to trust. Whether it's a boy/girlfriend, friends, or people we idolize. Now when you think about your school, it feels like everyone gets more strict and rude. For example, is your current teacher as nice and sweet as your kindergarten teacher was? Of course not, it feels almost like there expecting so many of us to fail or were all rotten kids. How are you supposed to trust someone who doesn’t trust you back? So to wrap it up, I do not trust my school anymore. Maybe in elementary school or middle school, but now I feels like I cannot completely trust all my teachers. Now, my government is a completely different story, and to be completely honest I do not trust them. I know that's a rude thing to say, considering they work so hard to protect us, but they don’t even know me! I know that they hide stuff from me, and yet they expect me to completely believe them and be faithful to them? I am sorry, but that's a lot to ask from a teenager. I am not against them I just don’t know enough about them. Most people feel this way however, and I think its normal though. It's a sad reality; many people become bitter and rude out of their lack of trust however. Its almost like some adults can’t see any innocence in anyone and cannot even trust loved ones in this deceiving world. However, I hope that when I grow up I am not so naïve or cruel, I hope to find a balance, to be able to tell apart good and bad. To think we are the same people who always stood by our parents and what they told us, even those little crazy stories that now seem so silly to us, and now I long for that innocence. It’s beautiful, but that's why they are kids. They are allowed to make mistakes and trust easily, that's expected of them! Us however need to “know better.” The real question is; should we be so easily trusting, or protectively safe?
Rate this:
Comment by mariposa

so true, i feel the same way. love this! Keep writing!
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 2:40:02 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Jennay

Thanks!
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 8:07:49 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy