Trust and Safety: Where is that innocence I once knew?

Jennay
Hmm… do I trust? It seems that in today’s generation, emotions that were so sacred are now things people will say to total strangers! For example, when was the last time you’ve said you loved someone and absolutely meant it? We say it to our friends all the time, or we say that we are in love with celebrities, like Justin Bieber, yet we don’t even know these people. But enough about love, this is about trust and safety. Trust is such a complicated concept, sometimes it feels like the older we get, the concept of trust is lost. When we are babies we are so innocent and naive that it’s easy to trust, and as you get older you get so overly protective and harsh. Kids have parents to keep them safe for them though. However, once you become a teenager it feels like so many of us are just looking for someone to trust. Whether it's a boy/girlfriend, friends, or people we idolize. Now when you think about your school, it feels like everyone gets more strict and rude. For example, is your current teacher as nice and sweet as your kindergarten teacher was? Of course not, it feels almost like there expecting so many of us to fail or were all rotten kids. How are you supposed to trust someone who doesn’t trust you back? So to wrap it up, I do not trust my school anymore. Maybe in elementary school or middle school, but now I feels like I cannot completely trust all my teachers. Now, my government is a completely different story, and to be completely honest I do not trust them. I know that's a rude thing to say, considering they work so hard to protect us, but they don’t even know me! I know that they hide stuff from me, and yet they expect me to completely believe them and be faithful to them? I am sorry, but that's a lot to ask from a teenager. I am not against them I just don’t know enough about them. Most people feel this way however, and I think its normal though. It's a sad reality; many people become bitter and rude out of their lack of trust however. Its almost like some adults can’t see any innocence in anyone and cannot even trust loved ones in this deceiving world. However, I hope that when I grow up I am not so naïve or cruel, I hope to find a balance, to be able to tell apart good and bad. To think we are the same people who always stood by our parents and what they told us, even those little crazy stories that now seem so silly to us, and now I long for that innocence. It’s beautiful, but that's why they are kids. They are allowed to make mistakes and trust easily, that's expected of them! Us however need to “know better.” The real question is; should we be so easily trusting, or protectively safe?
Comment by mariposa

so true, i feel the same way. love this! Keep writing!
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 2:40:02 AM
Comment by Jennay

Thanks!
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 8:07:49 AM