Trust and Safety: A Social Malaise

bgsankara
I heartily, thoroughly agree with historian Walter Anderson’s perceptive declaration thus: “We’re never so vulnerable than when we trust someone—but, paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy.” Painstaking scrutiny of the increasingly abysmal nature trust and safety have undergone leads one inexorably to recoil in horror and seethe with rage thereto. Facts aplenty highlight the aforesaid.
Following the tragic 9/11 terrorist attacks, America declared an all-out war against terrorism, ά la Taliban, who are fiercely, avowedly supportive of America’s destruction. It is now ten years since the imposing twin-towers tumbled down, yet recent abortive terrorist attacks—the failed Christmas bombing, for instance—manifest clearly the dismal safety of America, billions in military defense notwithstanding. To make it pellucid, I am unalterably opposed to all forms of terror. Recent polls reveal, in a dramatic twist of irony, that ordinary Americans in general and soldiers in particular are increasingly discontented with the seemingly unending war against “terror.” How can we trust the prudence of public officials when those bearing the burden of the struggle reveal frankly their ambivalent posture thereto?
It is my unyielding conviction that military adventures in lands afield cannot, will not, defeat terrorism. Only investing in programs of human uplift here and abroad can, will, defeat terrorism. Arguably thus, in lieu of expending astronomical sums of money in such military endeavors, America should expend monies into revitalizing Middle Eastern nations faulted for pernicious terrorist leanings. Honesty impels me to confess that I cannot trust our institutions that I will be safe as long as drones pummel and pillage villages afar in Pakistan more than they kill “terrorists”; or I will be safe as long as ungodly sums of money are expended for wanton military escapades while urban America’s decay is eschewed. The war against terror, paradoxically, has only intensified public distrust and weakened safety. Social injustice breeds discontent and bitterness; and bitterness is often blind, it leads ineluctably to an absolute disregard for an entire people or nation. It is such bitterness, fueled by American military interventions, that produces terrorists. “Whenever the heart is left in darkness,” laments Victor Hugo, “sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sins but he who causes the darkness.” The only sure way to safety is not militarism but an all-out war against human suffering and want. Afghans, for instance, will be driven to terrorism so long as costly military adventures continue in their lands unabated. Fostering unity and human advancement through progressive campaigns against poverty, diseases and human decay can only bring about a vibrant safety compounded by a firm trust in public institutions. In this endeavor, we shall etch a marvelous chapter in a stupendous history and, in the last analysis, we shall have moved past inaction to action. Tennyson’s immortal declaration aptly echoes my sentiments vis-à-vis the foregoing thus, “So many worlds, so much to do, so little done, such things to be.”