STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust and Safety: What does it even mean?

maggieluna95
It’d be so simple to say “yes ,I trust our institutions. I trust my parents. I trust my school. I trust the government. I trust ‘them’ whoever that may be”. But then again when is anything ever simple. What does trusting even mean? Is it following instructions, no questions asked? Or is it taking into account what we’re told and then making a decision for ourselves?

On September 11th, I was on my way to movement class when my mum showed up at school. I had watched my friends leave all morning. No one told us why. I just watched them leave, one by one, until it was my turn. The rest of the day I watched the worried looks on my parents faces and the way they avoided talking in front of us. I knew something was the matter, but it wasn’t until later that I understood why things had happened the way they did. I was too young to know. Everything that happened that day was beyond the grasp of a kindergartner. I had to believe what I was told and leave it at that. If my parents and teachers said everything was alright, then it was.

Ten years later I’m 16 and have heard the words “code red” and “terrorist threat” more times than i care to count. I’ve sat in a laundry room with 30 other people because of a tornado warning, and watched my mother open the mail outside because it just might contain anthrax. I’ve been patted down for forgetting to take a metal hair clip out of my pocket, and stayed inside for recess because of the sniper. But I’ve also watched my mum pack to go to Europe while the news reported about a car bomb in Scotland, and gone to my brother’s soccer match even though there was the potential of a terrorist attack. Maybe risking getting bombed by terrorists isn’t the smartest thing to do, but sitting at home hiding behind walls isn’t much better. After all, they are only bricks and plaster, not much good when a bomb hits. All things considered, short of leaving town there isn’t much that can be done. I’ve heard what everyone had to say and made my decision.

I’m not saying that I know all the answers, or that what I want to do, and what I should do are always the same. What I am saying is, that if I spent every minute of every day doing exactly what I’m told I wouldn’t go anywhere. I’d spend my life living in fear and never learning to make decisions for myself. If firefighters can run into burning buildings, and journalists can report from war zones, then I can take risks too. Just so long as they are calculated.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy