Trust and Safety: The Walkie-Talkies' Purpose

fruittreeinwinter
I was in fifth grade when a shooting incident broke out two blocks away from where I lived. I was at school when it happened so I didn’t hear about it until that night when my town was mentioned in the national news. “One man on xxx street in xxx was shot by a man now on loose…” The news anchor’s voice echoed in my ears as I flicked off the television. I recalled the frightened expressions on my parents face that day when I returned from school.
That night, my sister and I received a gift from my dad.
Two walkie-talkies.
My parents were strictly conservative at the time, believing that kids like my sister and I didn’t need any ‘unnecessary’ electrical devices yet. This was the reason why even our time on using the computer was limited to 15 minutes a day. So buying a walkie-talkie for each of us was a pretty big deal for mom and dad.
From that day on, we would have to ‘report’ our status over the walkie-talkie on our way to school. At first we didn’t take it seriously, using silly nicknames such as “red dolphin” (for me) and “green elephant” (for my sister) while we talked to our parents over the device. Mom would joke along with us but dad always kept his serious voice while we chatted.
Then my teacher Mrs. K at school reminded all the students to be careful since the shooter was not caught yet. I conceived the severity of the problem and soon the ‘reports’ over the walkie-talkie began to lose its silliness. Two weeks later the criminal was caught in a city located on the other side of the state. The walkie-talkie lost its purpose afterwards and nowadays just sits on top of the kitchen table, being covered with dusts of age. From time to time my brother in kindergarten uses it to play with his friends in pretending they’re spies. Its meaning has been lost in everyone’s oblivion over the years.
Still, I remember.
I remember the real meaning the walkie-talkies once possessed.
I will forever remember that it was my parent’s way of showing concern and love to my sister and me. The walkie-talkie was something that helped me realize that although parents may seem powerless and incompetent with life from time to time, they try their best to protect us from the dangers.

Nice essay! It's funny how things like this can forever impact us, huh?! I enjoyed your story!
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:22:01 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:44:17 PM