Truth and Safety: Not really

super909
Trust and Safety: Not really
At home, I feel safer than anywhere else. I live with my parents and my younger brothers and I have known them pretty much my whole lie. I love and trust them like no others in the world. You just can’t get that with principals or presidents. You have to have that ingrown camaraderie, or it just isn’t the same. As a student, I feel that my school is not very good at keeping me safe. Their idea of a way to deal with a gunman was for unarmed students to throw books at him to distract him, and then tackle. That won’t make him shoot his gun off at all. My school does do an okay job of keeping me safe, but I do believe if a gunman or other disasters would happen to occur, preparations that have been already done wouldn’t be enough. If there’s a fire, we are expected to calmly exit the building. The problem is, we’re fourteen, fifteen, sixteen year old kids. We are going to panic. Imagine when you were a teenager. What would you have down if all of a sudden, the earth starts rumbling. Windows break, books fall and you are narrowly missed by a falling book. You are not going to calmly and quietly hide beneath a desk, or walk out the building. The school is also not good at dealing with emotional threats, such as sorrow and stress. Just a few weeks ago, for example, a girl killed herself. The school couldn’t protect her now, could they? So how are they supposed to protect me? As for the ability of the government to keep me safe, if they stopped worrying so much about things happening overseas, they might get their heads out of the sand and realize that the people they were sworn to protect may need a little protection. The economy’s dead and dying, and so are people everywhere. Shouldn’t the government’s first priority be to protect their own nation before they play the heroes?