STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Trust and Safety: 19 minutes

oorvimehta
19 MINUTES
As a 13year old, in a school full of diverse children, many of which are subjected to bullying, what makes me feel insecure is not being the one bullied someday, but the fact that the ones who are bullied may seek revenge someday by school terrorism, school shooting. And whose fault would it be? Who would be the victim? The bullies who may be shot, the wounded ones who watched students get bullied or the child who just couldn't be an outcast his whole life and had to break lose. Underneath an incident of school shooting a no. of moral issues are uncovered. The idea of identity, peer pressure, popularity, gun control, betrayal, deception and communication barriers between adults and adolescents are only a few of them.
Unfortunately, the truth is that such thoughts have hijacked my dreams and gradually transformed them into nightmares. After days void of sleep, I just couldn't keep my fears and insecurities bound within myself and started by the simplest method- sharing. I thought of imaginary, tragic incidents taking place, and have expressed the same in the form of a poem giving the side of the story we often ignore to listen to. The guilty's side who was actually a victim his whole life.

19 Minutes

I woke up with a mission
I knew what I had to do
I had all the preparation
As I knew revenge was due

Loaded with guns, a backpack
Shouldered its weight upon me
Motive and reason, I didn’t lack
The psychological burden, I had to free

16 years of being tormented
Bashed, flagged, ridiculed and bullied
All these years I just resented
But now for the weak I had to do a deed

All my life, being an outcast
With teenage years causing a bigger rift
My actions were to leave them aghast
Those who left me miffed

As I reached the school corridor
And the series of shooting, I did start
I fired bullets with hatred to the core
And watched lives fall apart

19 minutes is what it took me
To bring the world to a screeching halt
Killing 10 and wounding 3
To start with, it was their fault

At the end of my massacre
I faltered and then sat still
Police sirens echoing in the air
With panic the school did fill

Now as an 18 year old
I sit in a dark jail
My feet feel cold
But my mission didn’t fail

If I look behind
I take pride in what I did
Only if they had been kind
I wouldn’t need to get rid

Being bound in jail I do not dote
And with hopeless pain I lie
As I stuff a sock down my throat
It’s time for me to say goodbye

Hopefully someday, you too would feel
How my days were hell
This was the only way to deal
Unless I kept hiding in my shell

There are many others like me
Who face these jocks’ terror too
I carry major hopes, someday
They would stop a few
And now to the world I bid adieu.

P.s. - I was so tormented that I practically checked the time that it would take to run across the school's corridor and shoot people at the same time. The time came out to be 19 minutes and I got the title for my poem.

At last I would wish to raise a plea to the world's teens-
Don't destroy other's lives by bullying
For someday they might want to destroy yours

Safely yours
Oorvi Mehta
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy