STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Anything but Avocados

sullysolipsism
I am a vegetable addict. A huge bowl of leafy greens can always be found nestled somewhere among the dishes at dinnertime. I didn’t realize how dependent I am on the laxative effects of salad until I visited Europe this summer and, adhering to Italy’s pizza and pasta menu, didn’t have cause to visit the restroom from Venice to Rome.

Occasionally I recoil from the boiled texture of a zucchini cube that has stewed in my mother’s cooking pot too long. Some days the gelatinous constitution of tomato pulp sits uneasily on my tongue. Now and again I can’t muster the courage to consume raw broccoli and risk lodging the clustered flower heads between my teeth like misplaced orthodontia.

But for the most part, zucchini, asparagus, squash, broccoli, cucumber, tomatoes . . . They all slide down as easily as if my throat is a greased tube. Their unique flavors, whether savory or bland, meld into a colorful melee running the gamut from thick, steaming soup served on cold winter nights to the perfect vegetable platter for a hot summer day.

I am eleven or twelve when I eat avocado for the first time. It is taco night at the Sullivan house. My mother sets out the usual suspects: ground beef (all-natural, of course), an overflowing bowl of shredded organic lettuce, chopped tomatoes from Alice Gamewell’s garden across the street, low-fat cheese, Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Needless to say, my mother is an incurable health nut, although thankfully she hasn’t yet discovered the medicinal properties of wheat germ and she doesn’t strictly hold to Popeye’s devotion to spinach. So I am slightly surprised when she also sets out a family-size bag of Tostitos scoop chips instead of her usual Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s fare.

“Guacamole tonight!” she declares. My father whoops, already in the know. My brothers and I exchange looks, equal parts curious and apprehensive. We taste the strange foreign word on our tongues. Goo-wok-uh-mole-yee, we say, giggling. I am excited. I am taking Spanish for the first time this year, and I snatch at any chance I get to wet my feet in foreign culture.

Then my mother sets a bowl of strange green mucilage in the center of the table. I stare at it. Creeping fingers of horror grip my stomach, twisting it like a dishcloth.

Perhaps it is the sheen of moisture glistening grotesquely over its surface, all but emitting a nimbus of green light. Perhaps its coloring, its texture, the dangerous bits of red nestled among the green, like hazard lights warning to stay away! Whatever it is, I am repulsed. I can barely look at it, this spreading green paste so reminiscent of cat vomit or baby diarrhea . . . I simply can’t make myself put it in my mouth.

“Come on, Keilah,” my mother coaxes, holding a guacamole-laden chip before my mouth. The guacamole wiggles, or perhaps pulsates, in what to some people must be an appealing manner. A sort of “come-and-get-me” motion, the way someone crooks a finger in your direction, only this time guacamole-style.

It is a rule in our household that we must always try whatever new food is offered, be it cow tongue or fish brains. So I suppress a shudder, shut my eyes tight, my lids eclipsing the sight of the green glop, and open my mouth wide.

To be honest, I can’t actually remember its flavor. It could be ambrosia, for all I care, but the texture murders me. All I know is that I am suddenly gagging, the heavy glob of goo lodged in my throat, laced with broken bits of chip. I stumble out of my seat and race to the trashcan, forcefully disgorging a noisome mix of green saliva and chunky guacamole sludge. My stomach twists at the very sight of mess buried amidst crumpled wads of paper and pencil shavings.

Nowadays, there is an implicit rule at our house that my mother sets the guacamole bowl on the opposite side of the table from where I sit. Since that semi-fateful day, I have not been able to touch avocado.
Rate this:
Comment by Babydoll

I love the way you described certain things and I LOVE veggies too;)
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:17:29 PM
Rate this:
Comment by sullysolipsism

Ha ha, thanks. I had fun writing this one. ;)
Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:14:28 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy