STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

About a Girl: Prologue

sullysolipsism
THE SUMMER I AM FIFTEEN, I walk into the garage and find my sister’s body on the ground.

It’s funny how we distance ourselves from the dead. It – the body – is no longer Layla. It has her dark hair, the edge of her trailing braid unraveling like a frayed rope end. It wears her natural fiber Juniper Berry skirt with the tassels and horrendous gold embroidery, the unfortunate result of another of her impulsive eco-friendly obsessions. Its fingers are painted her favorite shade of nail polish, a vibrant coral red, and its eyelashes are heavy with clumpy mascara. But for all its lifelike qualities, it’s just a body.

The person Layla was is long gone. All we’re left with is this empty, soulless shell. The body is overflowing with organs and bones and wriggly pink muscles, like gooey innards pressing against the skin of a fat grape, about to explode with health and life. The body has everything it needs to live, the nuts and bolts, even the engine fluid and carburetor. But for all its completeness, her body lacks the spark that once made her dance and laugh and love life with burning fervor.

I stand frozen, one hand on the handle of the manual garage door. In my other hand I clutch For Whom the Bell Tolls against my chest, my index finger pinched between the pages, holding my place. My eyes travel from the pool on the floor to the garroted throat. The limp end of rope curled on the floor like a sleeping animal. The silver fender of my father’s car flecked with the rusty brown of dried blood. The heavy manila envelope tucked beneath the windshield wiper, my name scrawled in purple ink across the paper.

Dull red patches of ruptured blood vessels glare beneath her half-closed lids. The bowline slipknot has carved into her neck. A thick crease of purple skin pushes around the edges of the rope, rising like a low mountain ridge, crusted in blood.

Later they tell us she hung herself, but after a minute or two the knot holding the rope to the ceiling loosened. She fell. Cracked her head against the floor. Blood sprayed in a careful arc over the polished concrete, but a slow leak from the smashed parietal bone in her skull obliterated the meticulous artwork in a pool of dark red.

The image is forever burned in my mind. Not with the clear brilliance of a twenty-first century digital image, the sort rendered by a Kodak touchscreen with fourteen megapixels and 5X optical zoom. Rather, it is a worn and moth-eaten image, much fingered and stained, tinged with acidic yellow like a Roger Fenton daguerreotype or a still shot from a grainy 1920s movie with clumsily restored color. Suffused with that translucent sheen of unreality characterized in extreme exhaustion or inebriation. Flushed with the vertiginous emotion of shock. Exaggerated and warped by endorphins and adrenaline.

I run out into the yard and vomit.

We were friends before. When we were children. We walked through life holding each others’ hands and hearts. I loved her with the blind, unconditional love of innocence and ignorance. I loved her as only a sister can. And later, I hated her as only a sister can.

I feel hollow. Empty. Like a starving man on a desert island who wasn’t eaten for weeks.

She’s better now, I think. She’s better now she’s dead. I feel a twinge at the callousness of my own words, but this is exactly what I think as I vomit on the overgrown grass and the image of my sister’s body haunts my vision. This, and, Dear god, this is going to kill Andrew.

And it does.

(To be continued . . .)
Rate this:
Comment by george_strait_girl_5

If this is a true story, I feel so much for you, and I am so sorry for your loss. :(

But whether true or fiction-- wow. This is amazing. There's not a single flaw [i]in[i/] it. Your use of literary tools to deepen things is great. The imagery is so skillfully put in. And I felt like I was right there with you, feeling what you did, as you did. I love this so much! It says "to be continued..." at the bottom. Please continue it!! :)
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:00:26 AM
Rate this:
Comment by sullysolipsism

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Just to clarify, it's NOT a true story (thankfully). It's all coming from my twisted little writer's brain where the basic thoguht process is that a good book requires lots of plot and plot requires lots of conflict and conflict requires lots of unfulfilled or blocked wants and needs. I thought the loss of a child posed the ultimate yearning.

And yes, I'll be posting the next parts soon. :) Thanks again!
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:16:11 PM
Rate this:
Comment by LogOphile

I literally had my breath sucked in!
Just let it out when i read your comment that this ain't a true story :)
phew!
and you sure have a way with the detailed descriptions ..
an awesome read (thank God it's not true) :D
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 6:00:59 PM
Rate this:

Wow, thanks so much! I was a little afraid that there was too MUCH detail and that it would either bore or disgust readers, so thanks for the encouragement! :)
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:51:05 PM
Rate this:
Comment by LivyluvsJC

Wow Keilah! This is the first of your work that I've read. It's really impressive. I think you did real good how you made your readers feel like they were there...like we were the ones seeing the body, not whoever was talking. I also liked how the person that was talking expressed how she had loved her sister her whole life and now she hated her. Keep the good work up!
Livy
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:03:18 AM
Rate this:

Thanks so much, Livy! I really appreciate the encouragement. :) Can't wait to check out some of your work too!
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:43:34 AM
Rate this:
Comment by kethmini

Oh my goodness, you had me at that first sentence. I love your vivid use of adjectives and feelings, it seems to effortless and fits perfectly with your writing. Brilliant and amazing. :)
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2011 3:19:37 AM
Rate this:

Thank you! :)
Posted: Wednesday, November 2, 2011 2:33:56 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy