STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Learned From My Mother: To Believe

ciaobella14
Felicia Czochanski
Metuchen, New Jersey

I guess I’ve been stubborn. More like a know-it-all, although it was completely illogical this entire time. How could she have recounted everything from her life in the short time I’ve had mine? But she kept this from me. One extremely important aspect which makes me wonder the reason why.

The other day we were driving together in the car and I decided to ask her the question. Apparently, it was supposed to be one that’s hard to answer; something that you’re supposed to think about for a while before responding to. But the moment it reached her ears, her face changed. I thought I knew my mom inside and out. We talk about anything and everything and I thought that we had covered basically every topic. But the way she squeezed her eyes shut and pursed her lips told me that this was not in the least bit true.

As the trees on the side of the road kept moving she sat there with her mouth closed, cheeks puffing out just a bit. It was as if the answer was hopping around inside of her mouth the instant it came to mind, but she just wasn’t ready to let me hear it. I prodded her for it. I teased her about how she was being forgetful and even told her that she was blushing. To that she responded, “No.” and her face became serious before she nervously began to speak.

The one thing that my mother never told me about herself was probably the most important thing she could have kept from me. She wanted to be a writer, and she still does.

Even thinking about it now so many questions come to mind that I’m overwhelmed and my eyes become subtly wet. Am I sympathetic that it never happened for her? Or irrationally selfish that I’ve been working on a novel myself? But I know why.

We went on our first college visit together earlier this year. When we got to the part of the tour which was the ‘major fair’ she told me to visit all of the booths that looked even remotely interesting, not to go straight to the English Department. When we did reach that booth though, my mother began to ask a million questions; some about the program and others about the types of jobs available. It was obvious that she wasn’t sure if it was rational to depend on writing for a living, but was still interested in the major. And I agree. Every case is different. But not once has she ever told me to give up my dream and focus on something else.

I think the tears in my eyes are of gratitude, because I know that my mother believes in me unconditionally. And that kind of support is unfortunately rare. I am still full of surprise but glad that I asked her. Now I have been given the opportune gift to encourage her to write, as she does to me.
Rate this:
Comment by michness

I go to York College of PA, where they have a wonderful and challenging Professional Writing program. My parents often groan when they remember my major, but honestly, I am pretty confident that I will receive a job. I couldn't ask for a better writing program--the major is really broad too, so you could do anything with it!
Posted: Saturday, July 2, 2011 5:42:59 PM
Rate this:
Comment by ciaobella14

I know a lot of people who are really into art and writing and such, and their parents discourage them from following their passion. I don't feel this is right, that the parents force their children into Pre-Med, something they may not be interested in, instead of allowing them to do what they love; no matter the salary. I totally agree with you!!! I think majoring in writing could open up a lot of opportunities that you wouldn't be exposed to otherwise :)
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2011 2:03:22 PM
Rate this:
Comment by ireylcadence

My dad had wanted to go into Chemistry or Physics, but unfortunately, money and time-constraints made that impossible.

For me, I'm one of those people who sway towards the social sciences, but of course, my parents are trying to talk me out of it. And the thing is, I know that they're trying to do what's best for me.

I think it's just a problem of today's society in general--that we undervalue the talents of the "right-brained" as opposed to the "left-brained".

Awesome post. :)
~Ireyl
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2011 10:46:12 PM
Rate this:
Comment by ciaobella14

Thanks! :)

And I completely agree with you. Society is definitely biased towards those who are "left-brained" although the intelligence and talents found on both sides are equally important. Until people begin to understand this generations to come will have to undergo the same bias as us.
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 2:51:28 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy