I learned from my mother that you cannot give up on something important to you

Theresa
When I asked my mom to tell me something I didn’t know about her, she insisted that I knew everything.
“The only stories I haven’t told you are embarrassing.”
“Tell me one of them.”
This is the story she told me.

Although my mom had always wanted marriage and a family, at age thirty-three, she was an unmarried army nurse living on a farm in Kansas.
One afternoon she complained about her singleness to her brother, Leo.
Uncle Leo looked at her. “Well, what are you doing about it?”
It struck Mom that she had to be proactive about marriage. She started attending singles’ groups and accepting blind dates.
Mom’s first singles’ group meeting was advertised as being for “mature” singles. Mom, thirty-three years old, believed that she definitely qualified as mature. So, she was shocked to find that the advertisement’s definition of “mature” was ages fifty to eighty. She spent an uncomfortable evening mingling with men and women old enough to be her parents.
The next singles group Mom ventured into was a young group--of women! The women had not yet found any men to join.
Mom kept trying, but was unable to find acceptable men at any singles' meetings.
Then, someone introduced my mom to a young man, Ed, who worked for Walt Disney Productions. Ed and my mom didn’t exactly “hit it off,” yet Mom liked him enough to go out with him. A tightwad, Ed took Mom to the movies often; he got in for free because of his job.
---------
Mom paused in her story-telling and laughed. “There were two events that didn't help our relationship."
“Go on,” I urged.

One evening, Mom drove to her mom’s house to meet Ed for a date. Grandma was out. Ed arrived. Mom and Ed chatted in the kitchen, and then left for yet another movie.
When Mom returned home, Grandma exclaimed in horror, “Jane, why didn’t you take the clothes off the line when Ed came?!” Because Grandma’s dryer was broken, Grandma had constructed a clothes line near the wood-burning stove. The family underwear was strung across the kitchen to dry! Mom had not even noticed!
A week later, some older women from church visited Mom while Ed was helping on the farm. Mom worried that the gossip would spread that she was dating someone who did not go to their church. So, Mom introduced Ed simply as “a man who helps out around the place.”
“Ed did not appreciate that,” Mom recalled with a smile.
The next week, after some consideration, Mom suggested that they break up. Ed disagreed.
But several days later, Ed called Mom. “Jane,” he began, “I don’t think this relationship is going anywhere. We should break up.”
Mom just said, “You know, Ed, that might be a good idea.”

“And a few months later, I met Dad,” Mom concluded. “Which shows that if you want something, you need to be proactive, and don't give up.”