STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my mother that you cannot give up on something important to you

Theresa
When I asked my mom to tell me something I didn’t know about her, she insisted that I knew everything.
“The only stories I haven’t told you are embarrassing.”
“Tell me one of them.”
This is the story she told me.

Although my mom had always wanted marriage and a family, at age thirty-three, she was an unmarried army nurse living on a farm in Kansas.
One afternoon she complained about her singleness to her brother, Leo.
Uncle Leo looked at her. “Well, what are you doing about it?”
It struck Mom that she had to be proactive about marriage. She started attending singles’ groups and accepting blind dates.
Mom’s first singles’ group meeting was advertised as being for “mature” singles. Mom, thirty-three years old, believed that she definitely qualified as mature. So, she was shocked to find that the advertisement’s definition of “mature” was ages fifty to eighty. She spent an uncomfortable evening mingling with men and women old enough to be her parents.
The next singles group Mom ventured into was a young group--of women! The women had not yet found any men to join.
Mom kept trying, but was unable to find acceptable men at any singles' meetings.
Then, someone introduced my mom to a young man, Ed, who worked for Walt Disney Productions. Ed and my mom didn’t exactly “hit it off,” yet Mom liked him enough to go out with him. A tightwad, Ed took Mom to the movies often; he got in for free because of his job.
---------
Mom paused in her story-telling and laughed. “There were two events that didn't help our relationship."
“Go on,” I urged.

One evening, Mom drove to her mom’s house to meet Ed for a date. Grandma was out. Ed arrived. Mom and Ed chatted in the kitchen, and then left for yet another movie.
When Mom returned home, Grandma exclaimed in horror, “Jane, why didn’t you take the clothes off the line when Ed came?!” Because Grandma’s dryer was broken, Grandma had constructed a clothes line near the wood-burning stove. The family underwear was strung across the kitchen to dry! Mom had not even noticed!
A week later, some older women from church visited Mom while Ed was helping on the farm. Mom worried that the gossip would spread that she was dating someone who did not go to their church. So, Mom introduced Ed simply as “a man who helps out around the place.”
“Ed did not appreciate that,” Mom recalled with a smile.
The next week, after some consideration, Mom suggested that they break up. Ed disagreed.
But several days later, Ed called Mom. “Jane,” he began, “I don’t think this relationship is going anywhere. We should break up.”
Mom just said, “You know, Ed, that might be a good idea.”

“And a few months later, I met Dad,” Mom concluded. “Which shows that if you want something, you need to be proactive, and don't give up.”
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy