STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my father that a simple man can be a hero.

foshoyeg
If there is one thing to know about my dad, he is a tech geek. He enjoys creating, programming, and reading about all the other technicalities that are foreign entities to most people. When talking about computers and his work, you can see that he is in his element; he seems at ease as he explains codes and encryptions and viruses with an air of authority.

The thing I realized that makes my father so special in his field and sets him apart from other software engineers is that he came to this country only 25 years ago from Korea, a country with no resources after Japanese imperialism and the Korean War. It was, at the time, a nation without a stable economy, government, or foundation. He came to America, like most immigrants, in hope of finding a professional job in a booming economy; and like most, he was faced with disappointment due to his inability to speak perfect English. The only thing he could do to make a living was to open a business. So, he enforced the Asian stereotype by opening a dry cleaners and a liquor store in a rundown part of Los Angeles.

Owning a liquor store is risky business, especially in Los Angeles where gangs and thieves are rampant. Almost once every other month, my father had to deal with robberies, and he was once even held at gunpoint. After that experience, he decided that enough was enough; because he had a duty to the family and raising me, he decided to study during the day at home and at night at the liquor store in order to gain some credentials in the U.S. to work as a software engineer. In less than a year, he was able to improve his English and hone his knowledge in computer technology enough that he was able to get a high position at an engineering company.

Before knowing my father’s past, I never really understood why my father was so strict when it came to academics and was so adamant when talking about my college major. I can now see why my dad pushes me towards pursuing a professional career either in law or politics; ultimately, he feels that he is just doing his job and looking out for me, so in the future I don’t have to work as hard as he did to make ends meet.

My father’s ability to achieve great things despite the odds is truly inspiring. A man that came to a foreign country with almost nothing became a respectable person in his field and a hero to me.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy