STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my mother that she is human

kdong17
Parents are a tag team duo who take on the arduous challenge of raising us from when we are in diapers to when we head off to college. However, this challenge is compounded when the parent has to do it alone.

My dad passed away from thyroid cancer when I was only seven. I was devastated. I recall tears violently pouring down my face every Father’s Day as my fellow classmates concocted gifts for their fathers or when I would constantly be beleaguered with questions about where my dad was. Growing up, I thought life was just unfair. My father’s death took a huge toll on our family. However, I remember for every time I had my head down, there was someone holding my chin up. That someone is my loving mother.

The death of my father awakened a visceral, maternal instinct inside of my mom. If one were to look up the word devotion or unconditional love in the dictionary, one would see a portrait of my mother. Throughout my childhood, my mom took on the roles of both mother and father, a gargantuan task that I personally believe she has accomplished with flying colors. She is my Superwoman. Whenever I need help with homework, she is there to correct it. Whenever I need a ride to wrestling practice at 5:00 in the morning, she is up and willing to give it. Whenever I need someone to talk to, she is there to listen. Whenever I need advice, she is there to give it. As a seventeen year-old teenager presented with this prompt, I began to wonder how my mom was able to do all of this. The answer I received has changed my view on her forever.

I have always epitomized my mom as some sort of superhero who lacks any flaws whatsoever. After a heartfelt conversation, however, I realized that every superhero has her kryptonite. She told me that she was tremendously impacted by the loss of my dad. She told me about the countless, sleepless nights where she would just worry about our future. My mom was scared to death just as I was. She remembered the plethora of Kleenex boxes that she had to go through and how she would constantly find herself asking why this had to happen to us.

Thus, my mom’s feelings of uncertainty and fear humanized her. In my opinion, however, she is elevated to a divine status above superhero. My mom was not only able to fight and conquer her ‘kryptonite’ but also was able to raise me to be who I am today; I am eternally grateful for that. Overall, I learned that in the face of tremendous adversity, she was willing to stand her ground to battle. Superwoman would, indeed, be jealous of my mom.

Rate this:
Comment by Theresa

Wow. This is really good!
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:04:32 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy