I learned from my mother that she is human

kdong17
Parents are a tag team duo who take on the arduous challenge of raising us from when we are in diapers to when we head off to college. However, this challenge is compounded when the parent has to do it alone.

My dad passed away from thyroid cancer when I was only seven. I was devastated. I recall tears violently pouring down my face every Father’s Day as my fellow classmates concocted gifts for their fathers or when I would constantly be beleaguered with questions about where my dad was. Growing up, I thought life was just unfair. My father’s death took a huge toll on our family. However, I remember for every time I had my head down, there was someone holding my chin up. That someone is my loving mother.

The death of my father awakened a visceral, maternal instinct inside of my mom. If one were to look up the word devotion or unconditional love in the dictionary, one would see a portrait of my mother. Throughout my childhood, my mom took on the roles of both mother and father, a gargantuan task that I personally believe she has accomplished with flying colors. She is my Superwoman. Whenever I need help with homework, she is there to correct it. Whenever I need a ride to wrestling practice at 5:00 in the morning, she is up and willing to give it. Whenever I need someone to talk to, she is there to listen. Whenever I need advice, she is there to give it. As a seventeen year-old teenager presented with this prompt, I began to wonder how my mom was able to do all of this. The answer I received has changed my view on her forever.

I have always epitomized my mom as some sort of superhero who lacks any flaws whatsoever. After a heartfelt conversation, however, I realized that every superhero has her kryptonite. She told me that she was tremendously impacted by the loss of my dad. She told me about the countless, sleepless nights where she would just worry about our future. My mom was scared to death just as I was. She remembered the plethora of Kleenex boxes that she had to go through and how she would constantly find herself asking why this had to happen to us.

Thus, my mom’s feelings of uncertainty and fear humanized her. In my opinion, however, she is elevated to a divine status above superhero. My mom was not only able to fight and conquer her ‘kryptonite’ but also was able to raise me to be who I am today; I am eternally grateful for that. Overall, I learned that in the face of tremendous adversity, she was willing to stand her ground to battle. Superwoman would, indeed, be jealous of my mom.

Comment by Theresa

Wow. This is really good!
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:04:32 PM