I learned from my father that nothing is promised.

9jasmine4
When I asked my goofy dad for something I didn’t know about him, I have to admit I was expecting an entertaining story of boyhood shenanigans or mischief. What I wasn’t expecting was a personal recount of the Hillsborough disaster, which, I learned, was when one of my dad’s best friends from high school lost his life. It was just another soccer match, and the Liverpool stadium was filling quickly. The Nottingham Forest fans were channeled into the bigger of the two sections, and suddenly more and more Liverpool fans were arriving and crowding into the smaller section. As police failed to exercise any kind of crowd control, fans were getting physically crushed up against the high metal fences—and dying. This real life horror story resulted in the deaths of 96 people and the injuries of many others. But for my dad, it was more than a news story, and hit close to home. Losing a friend is never easy, and losing one in such a violent and shocking way…I can’t even imagine.
I know that my dad regularly listens to me complaining about my friends, he knows in high school there’s no escaping the drama and the little rivalries that we encounter. I know he’s always been an advocate of trying to see the other side of things, giving people chances, and trying again. And now I know that maybe it means a little more to him that I not take anything—or anyone—for granted, because they can be taken away from me in a second.
It’s amazing what one question can do. Amazing what, when given the chance, your parents will try to teach you. It’s hard for my dad to say, “My best friend was killed,” but it’s harder for him to see that I don’t understand the lesson in that story. Except now, I can honestly say that I do understand daddy. I understand why you’re quick to forgive and slow to forget, I understand why you want me to appreciate the amazing friends I have, and take every opportunity to make more. But more importantly, I understand your passion for life and your love for everyone. More importantly, I would like to share that with you.