I learned from my mom that my mom's parents died in a raging house fire.

lifelikekids
I learned to my surprise that my mother was adopted. She tragically lost her parents in a house fire when she was only 18 months. She didn’t die because she was at the park with her grandparents so her parents could have the day to relax. My mom’s mother was cooking hamburgers for lunch. The phone started ringing and she went to answer it. She sat down on the couch and started to talk and talk and get into the conversation. She got into the conversation so much she completely forgot about the hamburgers and left them unattended. Once she smelt a burning about 20 minutes later, she walked into the kitchen to see a raging fire. She went to wake her husband in bed, grab the cat, and both phones. She ran as fast as she could, but by the time they walked down stairs to leave, it was to late and there was fire everywhere, but not firefighters. They ran upstairs and jumped out the first window in any hope they would make it, but the impact of the side walked killed all three of them, my mom’s mom, my mom’s dad, and their cat Simba. Since they died, my mom needed a guardian so the police called my mom’s grandparents and she stayed with them for a while. Since her grandparents were getting old, they didn’t have the energy and money to take care of her. Her grandpa took out the phone book and looked up the people who lived next door to the house her parents died in. They always babysat her when her parents would go to work so they knew her very well. They were all for idea of adopting my mom. Her grandparents didn’t want to have to make this decision and said it was the hardest chose they ever had to make. My mom would still spend every weekend with her grandparents. They just couldn’t take care of her all day and everyday because they just simply couldn’t afford it with having to pay medical bills. They took her to get the adoption papers signed and official. On July 16, 1971 it became official and all the remains of my moms stuff were sent to her new home. Since her new parents lived very close to her house, as she grew older seeing the house made the memories come back very often. My mom said she liked being so close though because she could always visit where her parents had perished. She became very close to her adopted parents and still keeps in touch with them today. Her grandparents both died in the year of 1978 at age 98. Even though my mom wasn’t old enough to remember her parents, there still in her heart.
Comment by laurengripp14

Wow... this story really made me think about life in general and to appreciate everything. Keep up the great work :) I would really like to read more essays by you !
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:20:26 PM