STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my mom that my mom's parents died in a raging house fire.

lifelikekids
I learned to my surprise that my mother was adopted. She tragically lost her parents in a house fire when she was only 18 months. She didn’t die because she was at the park with her grandparents so her parents could have the day to relax. My mom’s mother was cooking hamburgers for lunch. The phone started ringing and she went to answer it. She sat down on the couch and started to talk and talk and get into the conversation. She got into the conversation so much she completely forgot about the hamburgers and left them unattended. Once she smelt a burning about 20 minutes later, she walked into the kitchen to see a raging fire. She went to wake her husband in bed, grab the cat, and both phones. She ran as fast as she could, but by the time they walked down stairs to leave, it was to late and there was fire everywhere, but not firefighters. They ran upstairs and jumped out the first window in any hope they would make it, but the impact of the side walked killed all three of them, my mom’s mom, my mom’s dad, and their cat Simba. Since they died, my mom needed a guardian so the police called my mom’s grandparents and she stayed with them for a while. Since her grandparents were getting old, they didn’t have the energy and money to take care of her. Her grandpa took out the phone book and looked up the people who lived next door to the house her parents died in. They always babysat her when her parents would go to work so they knew her very well. They were all for idea of adopting my mom. Her grandparents didn’t want to have to make this decision and said it was the hardest chose they ever had to make. My mom would still spend every weekend with her grandparents. They just couldn’t take care of her all day and everyday because they just simply couldn’t afford it with having to pay medical bills. They took her to get the adoption papers signed and official. On July 16, 1971 it became official and all the remains of my moms stuff were sent to her new home. Since her new parents lived very close to her house, as she grew older seeing the house made the memories come back very often. My mom said she liked being so close though because she could always visit where her parents had perished. She became very close to her adopted parents and still keeps in touch with them today. Her grandparents both died in the year of 1978 at age 98. Even though my mom wasn’t old enough to remember her parents, there still in her heart.
Rate this:
Comment by laurengripp14

Wow... this story really made me think about life in general and to appreciate everything. Keep up the great work :) I would really like to read more essays by you !
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:20:26 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy