I Learned From My Mother That I Am A Miracle

laurengripp14
I am a living miracle baby. I was born only 1 pound, 6 ounces. My mom was only 24 weeks pregnant with me. Everyone in my family was so worried and scared because this was new to all of them. My parents stayed in the hospital with me for 82 days straight. I was born way too early. My due date was July 4th, and I was born March 28th. My mom and dad struggled to hold on to me and to do all that they could. They watched me struggle with needles, tubes and tape all over me as the doctors worked hard to keep me alive. None of my organs were fully developed and my skin was transparent. The doctors said to expect the worst because no one expected me to survive the trauma. I was only the length of your hand and my lungs had holes in them so I was not able to breathe on my own. My head was only the length of your index finger. No one had ever seen such a small baby back when I was born. Once my organs developed I was able to go home, but was on oxygen tanks until the age of four. Today, I am perfectly fine...100 percent. This is very rare because I shouldn't be living. Many premature babies grow up with bad eyesight, can’t walk, can’t breathe on their own, or have long-term life problems. Unfortunately, in most cases they never get the chance because they die. My mom told me that she prayed, cried, and hoped for me to get better and I did. Only 6% of the premature babies born today are born before 28 weeks. I am one of the 6%. I learned from my mom that I am a miracle baby.
Comment by lifelikekids

This is amazing, I love your writing! I haven't posted anything yet, but when I do will you check mine out? You should grow up to be like a writer or something (: Reading this REALLY made me want to write one, let me go write it now!
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:55:04 AM
Comment by laurengripp14

Thank you so much for commenting! I am so glad that I was able to know this. it truly shocked me when I found this out! I will definitely check out your writing. I am sure I will enjoy it. ;)
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:57:23 AM
Comment by foreveRizel

6%?! wow that is amazing..such a miracle!
hey we would have the same birthday, if you weren't premature..but still your story is way too cool! Be glad that you're alive.
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:07:40 AM
Comment by laurengripp14

Yeah haha! Really the same birthday?? .. I am glad that I am alive too :) Thanks for commenting =D
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:10:50 AM
Comment by jimbolimbo95

Wow this is a great stoey, it shows there are mircales in this world
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 6:06:53 AM
Comment by laurengripp14

Thank you for commenting! it means a lot!!
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 6:15:24 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Parents writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeenParentalRelationships.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:25:02 PM