STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Learned From My Mother That I Am A Miracle

laurengripp14
I am a living miracle baby. I was born only 1 pound, 6 ounces. My mom was only 24 weeks pregnant with me. Everyone in my family was so worried and scared because this was new to all of them. My parents stayed in the hospital with me for 82 days straight. I was born way too early. My due date was July 4th, and I was born March 28th. My mom and dad struggled to hold on to me and to do all that they could. They watched me struggle with needles, tubes and tape all over me as the doctors worked hard to keep me alive. None of my organs were fully developed and my skin was transparent. The doctors said to expect the worst because no one expected me to survive the trauma. I was only the length of your hand and my lungs had holes in them so I was not able to breathe on my own. My head was only the length of your index finger. No one had ever seen such a small baby back when I was born. Once my organs developed I was able to go home, but was on oxygen tanks until the age of four. Today, I am perfectly fine...100 percent. This is very rare because I shouldn't be living. Many premature babies grow up with bad eyesight, can’t walk, can’t breathe on their own, or have long-term life problems. Unfortunately, in most cases they never get the chance because they die. My mom told me that she prayed, cried, and hoped for me to get better and I did. Only 6% of the premature babies born today are born before 28 weeks. I am one of the 6%. I learned from my mom that I am a miracle baby.
Rate this:
Comment by lifelikekids

This is amazing, I love your writing! I haven't posted anything yet, but when I do will you check mine out? You should grow up to be like a writer or something (: Reading this REALLY made me want to write one, let me go write it now!
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:55:04 AM
Rate this:
Comment by laurengripp14

Thank you so much for commenting! I am so glad that I was able to know this. it truly shocked me when I found this out! I will definitely check out your writing. I am sure I will enjoy it. ;)
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:57:23 AM
Rate this:
Comment by foreveRizel

6%?! wow that is amazing..such a miracle!
hey we would have the same birthday, if you weren't premature..but still your story is way too cool! Be glad that you're alive.
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:07:40 AM
Rate this:
Comment by laurengripp14

Yeah haha! Really the same birthday?? .. I am glad that I am alive too :) Thanks for commenting =D
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:10:50 AM
Rate this:
Comment by jimbolimbo95

Wow this is a great stoey, it shows there are mircales in this world
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 6:06:53 AM
Rate this:
Comment by laurengripp14

Thank you for commenting! it means a lot!!
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2011 6:15:24 AM
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Parents writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/TeenParentalRelationships.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:25:02 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy