STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Learned From My Parents to Never Let Anyone Get in the Way of Your Dreams

foreveRizel
I know my parents very well, or that’s what I thought until I looked through an album of their “previous” life. Pathetic, I know, but our relationship is almost on the best friend level. I know their favorite colors and their favorite foods. I could tell you the stories behind their scars. “That one on his leg is a result of slipping in mud during an intense soccer game,” I would explain to inquirers. “He plays every sport known to man. My mom, she’s not as sporty, but she’s got a thing for floor hockey." I’m aware of their insecurities and weaknesses. However, until I saw this album, I wasn’t aware of who they were before or who they thought they would become.
They were once carefree, according to this picture. It’s a bird’s eye view of my parents lounging on a green bench next to an empty bottle of Coca-Cola and listening to a boom box. I don’t know if the Coca-Cola bottle belonged to my parents, but they seemed to have opened a bottle of happiness. Small frays of my mother’s hair wisped through the wind as she smiles at my father. My father’s hair is artistically shaped into a high top fade. He’s wearing skinny jeans, Nike sneakers, and a wide smile. Although the scene is very unfamiliar, I feel nostalgic. It’s crazy because I’ve only seen them like this in my dreams.
I don’t know my parents like this: young. They are not old at all, but they are not as vivacious as this picture portrays. They are God-fearing, supportive, and intuitive. They are sacrificial, patient, and protective. They always motivate me. Sometimes, I’m intimidated by their perfection. Least of all, they’re irritating. My parents are all of these things but not young.
A nurse, that’s what my mom wanted to be. She also wanted to be a hairdresser, an event planner, a poet, a journalist, have a singles ministry, and own a hair accessory line. My dad said he wanted to be a police or maybe a doctor. He couldn’t make up his mind.
He just wanted to a save lives. Instead, my mom is pulling her hair out while single handedly managing a daycare in her house and a family. My dad’s hair is graying perhaps a result of juggling two families and managing a chain store.

I didn’t know my parents were once like me: young dreamers. I slipped the picture back into the album. The album was my Pandora box and I didn’t want to figure out more. Guilt had already overcome me.

It was my fault.
They’re not in love anymore because of me.
They can’t chase their dreams because of me.

They have unknowingly taught me more than this activity required. I have not only learned who they truly are, but I have learned never to let anyone get in the way of my dreams.

Now, it is my mission to help them revisit this morale.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy