I Learned From My Parents to Never Let Anyone Get in the Way of Your Dreams

foreveRizel
I know my parents very well, or that’s what I thought until I looked through an album of their “previous” life. Pathetic, I know, but our relationship is almost on the best friend level. I know their favorite colors and their favorite foods. I could tell you the stories behind their scars. “That one on his leg is a result of slipping in mud during an intense soccer game,” I would explain to inquirers. “He plays every sport known to man. My mom, she’s not as sporty, but she’s got a thing for floor hockey." I’m aware of their insecurities and weaknesses. However, until I saw this album, I wasn’t aware of who they were before or who they thought they would become.
They were once carefree, according to this picture. It’s a bird’s eye view of my parents lounging on a green bench next to an empty bottle of Coca-Cola and listening to a boom box. I don’t know if the Coca-Cola bottle belonged to my parents, but they seemed to have opened a bottle of happiness. Small frays of my mother’s hair wisped through the wind as she smiles at my father. My father’s hair is artistically shaped into a high top fade. He’s wearing skinny jeans, Nike sneakers, and a wide smile. Although the scene is very unfamiliar, I feel nostalgic. It’s crazy because I’ve only seen them like this in my dreams.
I don’t know my parents like this: young. They are not old at all, but they are not as vivacious as this picture portrays. They are God-fearing, supportive, and intuitive. They are sacrificial, patient, and protective. They always motivate me. Sometimes, I’m intimidated by their perfection. Least of all, they’re irritating. My parents are all of these things but not young.
A nurse, that’s what my mom wanted to be. She also wanted to be a hairdresser, an event planner, a poet, a journalist, have a singles ministry, and own a hair accessory line. My dad said he wanted to be a police or maybe a doctor. He couldn’t make up his mind.
He just wanted to a save lives. Instead, my mom is pulling her hair out while single handedly managing a daycare in her house and a family. My dad’s hair is graying perhaps a result of juggling two families and managing a chain store.

I didn’t know my parents were once like me: young dreamers. I slipped the picture back into the album. The album was my Pandora box and I didn’t want to figure out more. Guilt had already overcome me.

It was my fault.
They’re not in love anymore because of me.
They can’t chase their dreams because of me.

They have unknowingly taught me more than this activity required. I have not only learned who they truly are, but I have learned never to let anyone get in the way of my dreams.

Now, it is my mission to help them revisit this morale.