I learned from my father how to play field hockey

sanya100
Sweet summertime is here and as usual I sign up for the basketball camp. The worst thing about basketball camp is that all the other girls are better than you or they’ll make you feel like you suck at basketball. So when my dad called me later that day I was shocked. It all started when I was watching Glee on T.V. and the cast was dancing to my favorite song by Brittney Spears. Suddenly my delight faded out and I heard the phone ring and I sprang to my feet to get it. As usual it’s my dad on the phone, so I bet he was calling to say,

“Did you clean the kitchen yet?” or “Have you even cleaned your room?”

So I just blanked out everything he was saying until I heard him say,

“I just saw a girl walking with a field hockey stick and I want you to play it too.”

“What field hockey? I don’t know a single thing about field hockey, why should I play a sport that I have never heard of? I don’t even know a thing about basketball but I thought I could shoot hoops! Obviously I was wrong.” I exclaimed, shocked.

“Okay well I might not know anything about basketball but I do know that when I was in high school I played field hockey for my team in Pakistan and I was the captain. I don’t think I will have a problem teaching you.”

“That’s impossible. Are you joking? If I knew you were a pro at field hockey, I would’ve skipped out on the whole basketball thing! There’s so much you can teach me about field hockey and nothing to teach me about basketball!”

“Oh trust me; you’ll be doing circles around all the girls at the camp in no time. Anyways I signed you up for field hockey camp at the high school and the coach said the camp started yesterday so you missed one day.”

“It’s alright, you can coach me for that one day,” I said.

“Alright I have to go now. I will get your hockey stick on the way home, love you.”

“Okay, love you too.” I said back.

The next day for half an hour before the camp started my dad taught me how to dribble the ball. He was amazing going back and forth. I hoped the tips and tricks would help. I knew I would never compare to his greatness at the game but later at the camp the coach and his varsity team helped us learn dribbling, push passes, and flicks. I learned everything quickly and I came to like the sport. Unlike basketball everyone was encouraging and gave directions is an easy-to-understand manner. Whatever they were doing made me feel like I knew field hockey was my sport. It felt good to understand field hockey better than basketball. I owe it all to my dad for finding me the sport I couldn’t find on my own.