STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my father how to play field hockey

sanya100
Sweet summertime is here and as usual I sign up for the basketball camp. The worst thing about basketball camp is that all the other girls are better than you or they’ll make you feel like you suck at basketball. So when my dad called me later that day I was shocked. It all started when I was watching Glee on T.V. and the cast was dancing to my favorite song by Brittney Spears. Suddenly my delight faded out and I heard the phone ring and I sprang to my feet to get it. As usual it’s my dad on the phone, so I bet he was calling to say,

“Did you clean the kitchen yet?” or “Have you even cleaned your room?”

So I just blanked out everything he was saying until I heard him say,

“I just saw a girl walking with a field hockey stick and I want you to play it too.”

“What field hockey? I don’t know a single thing about field hockey, why should I play a sport that I have never heard of? I don’t even know a thing about basketball but I thought I could shoot hoops! Obviously I was wrong.” I exclaimed, shocked.

“Okay well I might not know anything about basketball but I do know that when I was in high school I played field hockey for my team in Pakistan and I was the captain. I don’t think I will have a problem teaching you.”

“That’s impossible. Are you joking? If I knew you were a pro at field hockey, I would’ve skipped out on the whole basketball thing! There’s so much you can teach me about field hockey and nothing to teach me about basketball!”

“Oh trust me; you’ll be doing circles around all the girls at the camp in no time. Anyways I signed you up for field hockey camp at the high school and the coach said the camp started yesterday so you missed one day.”

“It’s alright, you can coach me for that one day,” I said.

“Alright I have to go now. I will get your hockey stick on the way home, love you.”

“Okay, love you too.” I said back.

The next day for half an hour before the camp started my dad taught me how to dribble the ball. He was amazing going back and forth. I hoped the tips and tricks would help. I knew I would never compare to his greatness at the game but later at the camp the coach and his varsity team helped us learn dribbling, push passes, and flicks. I learned everything quickly and I came to like the sport. Unlike basketball everyone was encouraging and gave directions is an easy-to-understand manner. Whatever they were doing made me feel like I knew field hockey was my sport. It felt good to understand field hockey better than basketball. I owe it all to my dad for finding me the sport I couldn’t find on my own.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy