I learned from my mom that we're not that different

sarah2.0
Ever since the beginning, daughters have complained to mothers about the problems caused boys. These boys could be fathers, brothers, and most often romantic interests. After daughters make long tyrannous rants on how insensitive or immature boys can be, mothers reply by saying something close to, “sweetie, everything will be ok. Believe me I know.” Of course though, daughters tend to retort by saying, “you have no idea what it’s like!” It’s funny though how wrong daughters can be.
My mom and I don’t have a lot in common. She tends to hold grudges while I tend to let things go, and she was extremely athletic as youth while I can’t say that marching band qualifies me as athletic. Despite this, I’m lucky to say that my mom and I rarely butt-heads. I know between my two parents, I’m more like my dad. We’re both funny, laidback, and have somewhat nasal voices. For the most part, I thought I had my mom pretty much figured out until recently when I filled her in on the latest boy drama in my life.
It‘s a simple story: I like boy. Boy likes me. For some reason, boy doesn’t want to be boyfriend-girlfriend. I told my mom this story, and she listened patiently. After I finished, she told me about how that happened to her to. She advised me that there are other fish in the sea, and maybe that he and I were not meant to be. I was exasperated when she said this. I’ve been talking about this boy for months with her, and here my mom is saying that there are other people in the world aside from him! I was so frustrated, and I said the typical daughter line, “you have no idea what it’s like!” My mom laughed at how this conversation sounded like something out of a 90’s sitcom. She told me, “at one point or another every person goes through this kind of rejection, I have, your mama has, and I’m sure a woman from the 17th century has.” I became even more annoyed, and my mom proceeded to tell me the story of one of her first romantic interests. Even though her story took place in the mid 70’s, I realized that although the names mentioned in the story were different, the morale of the story was exactly the same. Everything happens for a reason, and either way you look at it, rejection hurts. My mom said eventually she and the boy in her story were able to put aside what had happened, and they remained friends. It’s been a few weeks since the conversation with my mom, and I did the same exact thing she did. She asked me how things were going with the boy; I told her we’re still friends. From this whole thing I learned: although my mom may be older than me, she had a lot of the same experiences I did, and we’re not that different.