I learned from my mother her toddlerhood house.

katiewf
When I asked my mom to tell me one thing about herself that I didn’t know, it took her a while to come up with anything. You see, my parents have, for the most part, told me everything about themselves. If they haven’t told me, it is because they don’t want me to know, in which case I wouldn’t be hearing about it now. When I was younger, my parents (though mostly my dad) would tell me stories about their pasts. By the time I was ten, I had heard hundreds of stories about high school band, science, and gym, college pranks their friends played (they both went to MIT), family experiences, their casual proposal, and the wonderful days and parties in the years before I (their eldest) came along. So by the time I asked my mom, I already knew that she took ballet as a kid, woke up at five every day to take the bus for years, and as a kid took a road-trip while sitting in the back of the car in a box with the dog. In order to find something I didn’t know (and that she was willing to let me write about) she had to go all the way back to her childhood. Apparently, as a toddler, she lived in an octagonal house in the LA area. Her parents, though mostly her dad, had built it themselves, and it had a fireplace in the middle. I can’t say I find it surprising, really. Looking at her now and looking at where she came from, an unusual childhood (or toddlerhood) house is to be expected.