I learned from my father parents try to have good intentions

Shelton154
I thought I knew everything about both of my parents, but reality hit me with a major shocker, I don’t. I’m closer to my father and all my life I’ve been daddy’s little angel. I hate to admit it, but I honestly do tell him everything and I seriously thought he did too before I asked him, “What's one thing I don’t know about you dad?”
Oh no, I had finally asked him! It only took me a day or two to conjure up the courage to ask. He looked at me with a silly little smirk on his face, “honey you know everything about me”. Well that was that, I knew it, I know everything there possibly is to know about my dad. WRONG, right then I could see he was only trying to make me happy, you know that knightly you’re so smart-self-esteem-self-confidence speech. Anyways, that answer wasn’t good enough for me, so I had to repeat the question like they do on trivia shows. “What's one thing I don’t know about you dad?”… “You really want to know, I’ll tell you, just don’t get upset Des”. After he said that I was thinking what did I get myself into... I don’t want to know, don’t tell me anything, but I didn’t voice any of that, instead I just sat there and listened to him tell me about how he is allergic to coconut.
You’re probably thinking oh that’s no big deal, but YES IT IS! Funny story since I was like 9 I’ve been making Bonbon Jovi Truffles A.K.A. these yummy things dipped in coconut. Well surely my dad didn’t lie to me and tell me he loved them for years, YES HE DID! His explanation to why he never told me he was allergic to them was too sweet so I couldn’t remain angry at him for long. Basically he told me that he saw my little face (I was nine, remember) and how hard I tried to make special Bonbon Jovi Truffles just for him so he just couldn’t bear to tell me that he was allergic to them and couldn’t eat them. That made me cry, even though he pretended to eat the truffles for years hearing him say he did it because he didn’t want to hurt my feelings made this whole shenanigan worthwhile. Asking him this simple little question reassured that he always has my best interests at hand and no matter what I will always be “daddy’s little girl”.