I learned from my mother that things are sometimes best unsaid

xfhjm
Everyone no doubt at some stage or another wonders curiously if they know everything about their mother or even their own dad. But do we? Do we know every bad decision they made and they grew from when they were a rebellious teenager? The answer is probably not and studies show that most teenagers don’t even have a good relationship with their parents where they can communicate freely without being worried or feeling they are being judged. On the other hand a good relationship with your parents is a brilliant thing that should be cherished; I mean they did change our diapers, feed us, bath us and even clean up our spew at some stage or another. But now as we grow up we suddenly need them less and less and start to depend on others more then we use to depend on our own parents and we realise and ask ourselves “when did we grow up and mature?” and “when did this even happen or take place?”. There’s no certain answer to this of course and as we mature into young adults we suddenly become more mature and independent.

In relation to this essay I asked my own mum what’s one thing I probably wouldn’t even know about you? I asked my mum over my dad because my mum was a bit more rebellious when she was a teenager and the answer would probably surprise me more. The answer did in fact surprise and shock me and in return changed my own perspective on my mum. My mother (Cheryl) responded casually that she moved to the Gold Coast when she was 14 from Melbourne (her home town) for a long vacation with friends. How do you react to this? The person that has denied you permission continuously to simply go to sleepovers in the same suburb or even go partying nearby with friends. I was outraged, my mother on the other hand thought it was normal and said it was different in those days. To be honest she’s right things have changed but they have changed for the better not worse. Security has been booted up in many train stations and airports not to mention red buttons placed around certain places where you can click it if you are in trouble and you need police or someone urgently. Of course none of these facts helped persuade my mother’s opinion when I mentioned them and my mother simply shrugged them off as if I was talking an unknown language.

Since the conversation I had with my mum about her long vacation with friends out of state I have been able persuade her more easily and go more places. So to conclude this essay I would like to say everyone even our own parents have done stuff we don’t know about and what they did could change your own perspective on them and don’t judge a book by its cover.