STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my mother that things are sometimes best unsaid

xfhjm
Everyone no doubt at some stage or another wonders curiously if they know everything about their mother or even their own dad. But do we? Do we know every bad decision they made and they grew from when they were a rebellious teenager? The answer is probably not and studies show that most teenagers don’t even have a good relationship with their parents where they can communicate freely without being worried or feeling they are being judged. On the other hand a good relationship with your parents is a brilliant thing that should be cherished; I mean they did change our diapers, feed us, bath us and even clean up our spew at some stage or another. But now as we grow up we suddenly need them less and less and start to depend on others more then we use to depend on our own parents and we realise and ask ourselves “when did we grow up and mature?” and “when did this even happen or take place?”. There’s no certain answer to this of course and as we mature into young adults we suddenly become more mature and independent.

In relation to this essay I asked my own mum what’s one thing I probably wouldn’t even know about you? I asked my mum over my dad because my mum was a bit more rebellious when she was a teenager and the answer would probably surprise me more. The answer did in fact surprise and shock me and in return changed my own perspective on my mum. My mother (Cheryl) responded casually that she moved to the Gold Coast when she was 14 from Melbourne (her home town) for a long vacation with friends. How do you react to this? The person that has denied you permission continuously to simply go to sleepovers in the same suburb or even go partying nearby with friends. I was outraged, my mother on the other hand thought it was normal and said it was different in those days. To be honest she’s right things have changed but they have changed for the better not worse. Security has been booted up in many train stations and airports not to mention red buttons placed around certain places where you can click it if you are in trouble and you need police or someone urgently. Of course none of these facts helped persuade my mother’s opinion when I mentioned them and my mother simply shrugged them off as if I was talking an unknown language.

Since the conversation I had with my mum about her long vacation with friends out of state I have been able persuade her more easily and go more places. So to conclude this essay I would like to say everyone even our own parents have done stuff we don’t know about and what they did could change your own perspective on them and don’t judge a book by its cover.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy